The Best Jeans for Women That Flatter Every Body
Skip trying on dozens of pairs and go straight to these expert-approved styles, washes, and cuts that will flatter you the most.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
Tell loungewear sets to step aside—jeans are back and better than ever. And they’re currently in the midst of a renaissance. So, what’s going on in the world of fashion these days, and where can you find the best jeans for women?
“While the skinny jean has reigned supreme over women’s fashion for over a decade, a shift in the silhouette of women’s denim is underway,” explains Sadie Cherney, a fashion expert and the owner of three designer resale boutiques. “Now we’re seeing higher-waisted styles with looser legs and cropped lengths.”
“While skinny jeans were the accessory to the outfit, often hidden like leggings under a tunic or a flowing top, current denim styles are taking center stage in our ensembles,” Cherney says. “They’ve got flattering and supportive waistlines, tailored backsides and interesting loose leg cuts. They are the statement piece.”
What to look for when buying jeans for women
The keys to finding the best jeans? Material, construction and knowing what flatters your body shape. “Material is so important,” says Cherney. She notes that those who prefer structure and support will do best with 100 percent cotton styles, while those who like a little flexibility should look for cotton with about two percent Lycra content in the material. Even that small amount will give the jeans the ability to stretch about 15 percent.
Narrow down the trendy jeans styles even further by determining how high of a rise you like in your denim. Figuring out where you want jeans to sit on your hips or waist is as important as picking the right bras.
“Evaluate the ‘rise’ of the jeans, which is the measurement of the crotch seam to the top of the waistband. This will determine where the jeans sit,” Cherney explains. “Low rise sits on the hips and high rise on the waist. High-rise denim makes it easier to wear and conceal shapewear pieces if that’s something you wear. While both options have been trendy in past years, mid-rise jeans are going to be the most classic and timeless if purchasing high-end denim.”
Once you know where on your torso you’d like your denim to rest comfortably, which materials you would feel most comfortable wearing and which washes you like best (like pale stonewashed denim to pair with casual sandals, walking shoes or sneakers), you can more easily pick the right denim styles for your body type.
Feeling confident is the most important factor, which is why we chose the best jeans for women based mainly on consumer reviews. Simply put, if the jeans aren’t incredibly loved by real women like you, we passed for the next pair.
We also considered expert recommendations, the quality of the garment’s construction and overall value. On this list, you’ll find several options for each silhouette, so rest assured—there’s a pair of trendy jeans for every style, budget and body type. Once you find the right ones for you, you can create a whole look for the cooler months with the best boots, fall sweaters and winter coats.
Best overall straight-leg jeans
DL1961 Patti Straight High Rise
“Straight-leg denim without any holes will always be the silhouette that works on the most diverse range body types,” shares style expert Bernadett Vajda. “Pair this shape with a jacket or with a crisp, bright pink button-down or another stylish top for a sophisticated, brighter take.”
The DL 1961 Patti is a high-rise, vintage straight fit. That means these trendy jeans won’t drag beneath your favorite sneakers but will still tuck neatly into your boots. The Reef colorway is a mid-indigo wash that’s stylish yet casual for everyday wear. They work on most body types, although women with average, curvy, athletic and hourglass shapes will benefit the most from this classic style. Pair them with some chunky sneakers for a classic, retro look.
- Classic cut with modern details like a raw hem
- Versatile 27-inch inseam
- Rigid cotton with only 1 percent stretch means they’ll hold you in and keep their shape
- High price point, but this versatile piece makes up for it in cost-per-wear
Best ankle-length straight-leg jeans
Liverpool Los Angeles Chloe Slim Straight Leg Jeans
“This style can add volume to a person with muscular thighs, as they will cling to the widest part of their leg and mask the thinnest part of their leg,” explains Cherney. “That’s great if you want to accentuate your natural curves. These will be fantastic with a band tee, a shirt jacket, and a pair of stomper boots.”
Straighter styles like the Liverpool Los Angeles Chloe straight-leg jeans are also known to elongate average frames and can even be slimming jeans for those with modest curves. This cropped, dark-wash style features a 28.5-inch inseam and a mid-rise waist.
- Offers a trendier take on traditional straight leg styles thanks to a 28.5-inch inseam
- Comes in sizes 0 through 14
- High quality for a mid-range price
- Must be tumbled dry because they’re made of 20% viscose
Best plus size straight leg jeans
Plus Size m jeans by Maurices Classic Straight Curvy High Rise Jeans
Curvy gals will love these affordable straight-leg m jeans by Maurices. Available in sizes 14W through 22W and in five different lengths, they’re are a dream to wash and wear, and they’ll quickly become your new go-to wardrobe staple. With 1% Spandex, they offer mild give but hold their shape through countless wears and washes. Also, just in case you’ve ever wondered, here’s how often jeans should be washed.
- Size-inclusive range
- Under-$30 price point
- Dark wash for pulled-together style
- Available in five lengths
- Machine washable
- Only one wash offering
Best overall mom jeans
Abercrombie & Fitch High Rise Mom Jeans
Mom jeans are back en vogue, and they’re modernized with slightly more flattering fits and fabric textures to help nail the look. “Don’t worry, they aren’t the same as the mom jeans from the early 2000s,” says Vajda. “They have been revamped to fit the modern-day woman who desires comfort. They have a looser fit and have a higher waist, and can easily be styled with a crop top, oversized blazer and boots—the choice is yours.”
These Abercrombie & Fitch mom jeans are one of the most beloved styles, and they’re selling out quickly. They’re size-inclusive with an expanded range and lengths ranging from extra short to extra long. The higher-rise waist nails the style, while a 12-inch back rise means you’ll never experience that dreaded underwear-sticking-out thing again.
- Comfortable, relaxed mom jeans fit
- Available in waist sizes 23 through 37
- Five length options
- Five wash variations ranging from pale blue to black
- Medium price point for high quality
- 99 percent cotton and 1 percent elastane help these jeans keep their shape and allow for easy movement
- Mildly destructed denim, which may not be appealing to those looking for a crisp, polished finish
Best vintage-inspired mom jeans
Madewell The Perfect Vintage Jean
Did you know these Madewell Perfect Vintage jeans are so beloved by shoppers that a pair sells every other minute? It’s true, and the vintage style and universally flattering silhouette have made these the brand’s best sellers for five years and counting. An 11-inch rise, tapered leg and Fair Trade–certified materials will make these your new favorites.
- Classic vintage mom jean fit and texture
- Available in standard, plus, petite and tall sizes
- Tens of thousands of positive reviews across several washes and styles
- Available in waist sizes 23 through 33
- 28-inch inseam is just as flattering with summer sandals as with boots
- The style sells so fast and furiously that it’s sometimes hard to find the exact size and rinse combination you’re looking for
Best value mom jeans
Levi’s Wedgie Icon Jeans
Affordable, flattering mom jeans are totally within reach. These Levi’s Wedgie Icon jeans are probably the same ones your mom wore back in ’89, and the ideal way to honor your denim-loving lineage.
These classic mom jeans are available in over a dozen washes to suit every personal style. They also come in 14 washes an impressive size range from 23 to 32. Choose from several inseam lengths and then decide if you want to pair them with a modern shirt or a vintage concert tee.
- Price starts at just $19
- Authentic classic fit
- 14 washes
- 99% cotton, 1% elastane construction
- Washes and wears with ease
- Currently no plus-size offerings
Best overall bootcut jeans
Jen7 Slim Bootcut Jeans
According to Vajda, bootcut jeans should be a staple in every naturally curvy woman’s wardrobe. “Curvy” isn’t limited to plus sizes, either. Bootcut denim offers a subtle balance to a woman’s natural shape, thanks to a slightly flared leg opening. They also go perfectly with the best sweaters for fall.
These stretchy Jen7 slim bootcut jeans streamline your look with a high waist and shaping panels that subtly sculpt your curves. They’re also available in two washes and sizes 0 through 16. “Jen7 is a cult favorite with my curvier clients,” says Vajda. “The shapewear panel built into the top of these jeans will have you buying one of every color available. Consider them designer booty sculptors.”
- Slimming bootcut silhouette
- Built-in shapewear panels
- Available in sizes 0 through 18
- High rise
- Limited colors/washes
- Must be tumbled dry or line dried to preserve the built-in shapewear
Best high-waist bootcut jeans
LC Lauren Conrad High-Waist Bootcut Jeans
These high-waisted LC Lauren Conrad bootcut jeans are a classic wardrobe go-to. Besides coming from a trusted brand, what makes them some of the best jeans for women? They’re offered in three neutral and on-trend washes, come in short, regular and long sizes and are offered at an affordable price.
The higher rise of these jeans promise a near-your-belly-button fit that flatters and cinches the waist. Plus, a slightly stretchy denim material means they offer plenty of movement. In general, make sure to pay attention to those laundry symbols on your jeans (and other clothes) before throwing them in the wash.
- Higher waist cinches and accentuates natural curves
- Affordable price point
- Classic styling
- Sizes 0 through 18 in several lengths
- Some reviewers note these are a bit “loose in the thighs” on slimmer body types, though “perfect” on curvy and athletic body types
Best plus size bootcut jeans
Silver Jeans Co. Infinite Fit High Rise Bootcut Jeans
- Can expand or shrink a full four sizes to accommodate natural weight fluctuations
- Lots of stretch thanks to 90% elasticity
- Core wardrobe staple design
- Affordable price point
- Limited washes and style details
Best wide leg cropped jeans
Jen7 High Waist Crop Wide Leg Jeans
Get ready to turn heads, because these best jeans for women hit two trends at once. Take advantage of comfortable, roomy wide legs in warm-weather-perfect crops with these Jen7 jeans. They offer a timeless trouser-style silhouette that adds a bit of polished charm to any look. Available in a rich, deep blue shade and sizes 0 through 14, they’ll be your new go-to pair.
- Hits both crop and wide leg trends at once
- Easily dressed up or down
- Moderate price point
- Medium-density denim fabric works for three seasons of wearing
- Timeless dark wash
- Limited size and color range
Best overall distressed jeans
Madewell Baggy Straight Jeans
Add subtle or totally distressed denim to your wardrobe for those days when you want a casual, lived-in feel. “We want to continue the ease of comfort from our year at home but also look chic when going out,” Vajda says of the roughed-up look.
The beloved Madewell baggy straight leg is the perfect casual-cool jean with destruction at the knees and a pale denim wash that gives off lived-in vibes. They also have a high-rise, relaxed fit and offer 100% old-school classic cotton denim. They’re offered in various inseam lengths so you can wear these with all your favorite shoes. Vajda suggests trying them with cowboy boots for a modern take (yes, they’re back!) or sneakers for a laid-back, casual look.
- Moderate distressing at the thighs and knees
- Medium pale wash offers a lived-in look
- Offered in standard, plus, petite and tall sizes
- Reasonable price
- 100% rigid cotton denim means these have no stretch and a more classic feel
Best vintage-inspired distressed jeans
DL1961 Emilie Straight Vintage Jeans
You’ll look like an absolute rock star in these worn-in, 31-inch-inseam DL1971 Emilie vintage-style jeans. Rigid Light Distressed is a light indigo wash with vintage character, clippings, and distressing throughout. The busted knee, concealed button fly, khaki stitching, antique silver hardware and clean hem with heavy grinding at the back all seal the cool-girl deal.
- Authentic-looking distressing on vintage heavyweight cotton denim
- Waist sizes 23 through 34
- Rigid feel
- Looks like it was plucked from a high-end vintage store
Best overall girlfriend jeans
ReCreation FlexiFit Girlfriend Jeans
“Girlfriend jeans are a newer version of the boyfriend jean, as they sit higher on the hip,” Vajda shares of this new silhouette. “It has a more tapered, slim leg when compared to the boyfriend jean, which is baggy and has a looser fit all around.”
Gen Z and millennials will love these modern ReCreation FlexiFit girlfriend jeans that feature stretchy cotton-blend denim and a slightly fitted silhouette. Don’t expect a tight fit though, because these comfortable jeans feature roomier proportions on the legs.
Vajda suggests opting for a pair like this if you love the relaxed, distressed look of boyfriend jeans but just don’t want to risk the dreaded back-gap issue that happens when the waist and rise are too low. Here are other common outfit mistakes you should avoid.
- Semi-tailored girlfriend silhouette fits higher on the hip
- A higher rise means that your underwear won’t be exposed when you sit down
- Vintage appeal
- Stretch denim
- Easy to machine wash and tumble dry
- Only available in standard sizing
Most comfortable girlfriend jeans
Rag & Bone Miramar Joggers
These Rag & Bone jeans look like the best jeans for women, but somehow as if by magic, they feel and wear like sweatpants. The catch? They’re a little pricier than average denim, but reviewers swear they’re worth every penny.
“This was a client favorite this season,” Vajda shares. “They were sold out in every size every time I went online to purchase them for myself, but they are finally back!” She particularly loves them because they can go from day to evening easily. “Wear sneakers or boots during the day and change to heels for an evening look,” she suggests. “Yes, sweats can be chic when they look like this, and they are when paired with a fitted top and a jacket draped over your shoulders.”
- Relaxed girlfriend style feels like sweatpants
- Ankle length with elastic cuffs
- Made of lightweight French terry
- Looks like authentic, stylish jeans
- Limited structure, so they won’t offer any tightening or slimming effects
Best girlfriend jeans for curvy bodies
Democracy Ab Solution Girlfriend Jeans
The Democracy Ab Solution jeans have mild whiskering, fading and deconstructed portions to give a casual, lived-in feel. They’re offered in a classic blue wash and designed to hold, mold, flatten and smooth all your best assets in a cotton-spandex blend. Over 12,000 Amazon shoppers have rated these among the best thanks to features like five true pockets. Fully functional pockets are a rare feat for stretch denim and offer places for things like phones and keys.
- Comfortable girlfriend fit in stretch denim
- Offered in sizes 0 through 24
- Shaping panels and material
- Several washes and colors
- Moderate pricing
- Some reviewers note that non-stop wear can leave them a little stretched out and loose
Best overall skinny jeans
Signature by Levi Strauss & Co. Shaping Skinny Jeans
There’s a time and a place for skinny jeans, according to style experts. Both Cherney and Vajda agree that there’s no reason to toss your existing wardrobe or cancel favorite styles altogether—just update the way you’re wearing them. Skinny denim—like these Levi’s shaping jeans—can be made modern with a high-rise style or dark wash.
Just make sure the top you pair your favorite skinny jeans with is modern to keep the look current; skip the cold shoulder tops, infinity scarves and other styles that date you. For inspiration, check out these work tops that are great for the office or your next video call.
- Easy pull-on skinny jeans style
- Stretchy shaping panels
- Multiple washes
- Sizes 2 through 28W
- Needs to be either tumbled dry or air dried to preserve shaping qualities
Best butt-lifting skinny jeans
Lee Sculpting Skinny Jeans
Just like the best butt-lifting leggings, you can’t go wrong with a booty-sculpting pair of jeans. This Lee pair happens to be beloved by thousands of happy Amazon reviewers, and for good reason.
The broad size range and multiple washes, colors and styles offered make them a hit—plus built-in sculpting panels. “Finally found my perfect jeans,” writes Amanda Lancaster, a verified Amazon purchaser. “I like a bit of weight to my jeans and found these to be exactly what I want, not thin like some other brands designed to stretch. The rise is perfect, not too high and not too low. And the color Nightingale is incredibly slimming.”
- Built-in butt sculpting panels
- Offers a toned, athletic appearance
- Affordable price point
- Multiple colors, sizes and styles
- The built-in sculpting panels require careful washing and drying to preserve their integrity
Best overall wide-leg jeans
Loft High Rise Wide-Leg Jeans
Wide-leg denim is back and better than ever. “Wide leg jeans are a glorified denim trouser from the ’90s that are back in style and not going anywhere,” Vajda explains. “In a dark wash, it can be dressed up for office wear if you’re allowed to wear denim to work, and most body types can pull off the look.”
“Women with smaller frames might want to opt for a lighter material, whereas curvier women will benefit from sturdier materials and thicker-cut canvas,” Vajda says. “Like other denim styles, it’s all about choosing the right proportions.”
These high-rise wide jeans from Loft come in a versatile lived-in light wash. Their roomy legs and a higher waistband allow shirts of all types to tuck in neatly to match current trends and elevate your look. “I have been seeking alternatives to my skinny jean rut,” shares one reviewer. “These pants are really fun. I tried them on in the store with a tucked-in tee, and other women in the changing room complimented them.”
- Roomy wide leg style with a flattering high rise
- Regular and curvy sizes 24 to 34
- Comfortable wear
- Moderate price point
- Only one wash and inseam offered
Best budget wide-leg jeans
Old Navy Extra High Waisted Wide-Leg Jeans
These extra high-waisted Old Navy jeans offer a billowy, rich denim take on the ultra-tight silhouette we’ve all grown used to. They look and wear like a dream, so you’ll be happy to don these comfy pants everywhere from Sunday brunch to running errands around town. Available in regular, petite and tall sizes spanning 00 to 30, they’ve quickly become a style staple TikTok users can’t stop raving about.
- Affordable under-$45 price point
- Versatile medium-dark wash pairs well with many outfits
- Sizes 00 through 30
- Petite and tall sizes available as well
- Material features partially recycled cotton fibers
- Must be either tumbled dry on low or line dried to preserve lyocell material components
Best statement wide-leg jeans
Pistola Bobbie High Rise Wide-Leg Crossover
The Pistola Bobbie boasts a high rise and trendy crossover button front that will instantly elevate your outfit. The relaxed fit subtly hangs on the hips, while the light wash offers a nod to the best of ’90s fashion. Plus, the 31-inch inseam is just the right length to stay clean and polished-looking.
- Stylish crossover front
- Hangs loosely on the hips for a throwback look
- Waist sizes 23 through 33
- Vintage light wash
- Lower rise style means some body types risk exposing underwear or backsides when sitting
Best overall maternity jeans
Madewell Maternity Stovepipe Jeans
Vajda suggests devoting most of your maternity jeans research to three major factors: affordability, room to grow and room to shrink. “These aren’t the jeans you’ll be living in for decades, so don’t spend all your cash on maternity jeans,” she says. “Look for moderately priced finds in styles you feel confident in, and make sure there’s more stretch factor than you think you’ll ever possibly need. You’re really going to need it, and good elastic will shrink back down with you when that time comes, too.”
You can wear these Madewell maternity jeans for the first three trimesters and then several weeks after giving birth, thanks to a smart adjusted waistband and elastic side panels. It’s also easy to love the flattering deeper-toned wash and versatility that will make them your go-to jeans.
A lower cut front makes room for easy growth and comfort. The higher back promises you’ll never show a full moon. The style is somewhere between a traditional skinny and a straight leg, giving you all the versatility you could ask for. Cherney and Vajda both say the adjustable waistband is stellar for shape-shifting bellies.
- Elastic side panels make these look like your pre-baby jeans with plenty of room to grow (and shrink)
- Cut low in the front for comfort and high in the back for coverage
- Versatile darker wash
- Inset panels that are sturdy and hold up to repeated washing, wearing and repeating
- Only one wash and inseam offering
Best budget maternity jeans
Oh! Mamma Skinny Maternity Jeans
Here’s a secret veteran moms know: Your maternity wear should be good quality and stretch and grow with you—but it shouldn’t break the bank. You’ll only need these clothes for about a year, so spending big money doesn’t make sense. Walmart sells a line of Oh! Mamma maternity jeans that are ultra-affordable at under $20. They’re also well-made and fun to wear.
This style is a skinny silhouette with either a partial or full elastic panel. They’re also great for standard and plus sizes, with a range of up to 3X. Grab a few, because they come in five versatile washes you’ll want to wear every day of the week.
- Ultra-affordable price point under $20
- Available in either full or partial elastic paneling
- Regular and plus sizes ranging from small through 3X
- Five neutral washes
- While they can be machined washed, they should ideally be air or tumbled dry to preserve the elastic features
- Not all pockets are functional
- Sadie Cherney, a fashion expert and the owner of three Clothes Mentor resale boutiques in South Carolina
- Bernadett Vajda, style expert
Stop hunting for the best products and deals—get our expert scoop on secret sales and discounts, gift ideas for everyone and can’t-miss products. Sign up for the Stuff We Love newsletter.