You’ve Been Scrolling the Wrong Way on Your iPhone—Here’s What to Do Instead
At the end of a scrolling session and need to get back to the top? You don't have to scroll up endlessly. Here's an iPhone trick that can bring you back to the top of the page with just a tap of the finger.
If you use a smartphone frequently, you already know how important it is to scroll through apps and web pages efficiently. Naturally, you might assume that means having nothing more than a good, responsive touchscreen and quick fingers. However, if your smartphone sports that iconic Apple logo, you’ll be pleased to learn that there are some unique iPhone tricks that can save you time and make your browsing experience even smoother.
We’ve all had the experience of enjoying a good scrolling session, only to inevitably need to scroll back up. Getting back to the top of a page or feed can become unnecessarily time-consuming, but the good news is that there’s a super quick way for iPhone users to do it. We’ll show you the trick below, along with some other must-know iPhone tricks that can save you time.
So, what’s the iPhone trick for scrolling faster?
You’ve scrolled down a webpage or the feed of your favorite app, and now you want to scroll back up. There’s an easier way than endlessly swiping up on the screen for half a minute. The trick varies depending on which generation of iPhone you own, but here’s how to do it:
- All iPhone models: Instead of swiping endlessly to get to the top of a web page or app, simply tap the top of your iPhone’s screen. This will instantly bring you to the top of the page. It works on all models of the iPhone, regardless of the age or screen size.
- iPhone 14 models: If you have an iPhone 14, you can quickly scroll to the top of a page with the Dynamic Island feature. Just tap on either side of the Dynamic Island (the area around the camera), and your phone will scroll up instantly.
- iPhone X and newer models: For iPhone X or newer models with a camera notch at the top of the screen, you can tap on either side of the notch to quickly scroll to the top of the page. This is another quick and simple way to navigate through long pages.
- Older iPhone models: If you have an older iPhone without the Dynamic Island or notch, you can achieve the same effect by tapping the clock on the status bar. This will snap you up to the top of the page.
Other quick iPhone tricks to save you time
Many hidden iPhone hacks are buried in the iOS software and are hardly limited to merely scrolling faster. Here are some other lesser-known tricks you can incorporate into your daily scrolling routine to make things a little smoother:
- Enable Reachability: Reachability is a feature that allows you to access the top of your iPhone’s screen without using two hands. To enable Reachability, go to Settings > Accessibility > Touch > Reachability and turn it on. Once enabled, you can just swipe down on the home bar (the thin bar at the bottom of the screen) to bring the top of the screen down. This is particularly useful if you have a larger phone or use your phone with one hand.
- Quickly switch between apps: If you frequently switch between apps, there is an easier way than bringing up the home screen every time. Instead, you can swipe right on the home bar to quickly switch to your previously used app. This is a great way to save time and streamline your app-switching.
- Use Siri to open apps: If you’re tired of scrolling through your apps to find the one you need, try using Siri instead. After you’ve set up Apple’s voice assistant on your iPhone, simply say, “Hey Siri, open [app],” and Siri will open the app for you. This is another great way to save time and avoid the hassle of scrolling through your apps.
- Customize your Control Center: The Control Center is a quick way to access your iPhone’s settings, tools, and apps. To customize your Control Center, navigate to Settings > Control Center > Customize Controls. Here, you can add or remove shortcuts from the Control Center, making it easier to access the things you use most frequently.
If you spend a decent amount of time on your iPhone daily, you might as well learn how to get the most out of it. The above tricks may only save you a few seconds each time you do them, but seconds add up to minutes, and minutes add up to hours. These iPhone tips and tricks will save you time and make your everyday iPhone experience more enjoyable.