84 Most Romantic Love Quotes to Share With Your Special Someone
Need the perfect words for the perfect person? These love quotes can help if you're feeling a bit tongue-tied.
Love quotes guaranteed to make you swoon
In the words of Johnny Cash: Love is a burning thing. New love, old love, love that fizzled and then sparked again—it’s all magnificent and wondrous. Each love story is packed with emotions and experiences that shape those involved. While it may seem impossible to sum up your relationship in a couple words, sometimes, we need a simple love quote or two to capture the essence of our relationships (especially around Valentine’s Day).
That’s what this list is for: to give you the best quotes about relationships, love, and finding that special someone. Some of these quotes are uplifting, whereas others are quite funny or deeply romantic. Each relationship is different, so read on and see which one perfectly sums up your union. You can use them as sweet Instagram captions for your couples photos, or even as beautiful Valentine’s Day messages. After browsing these quotes, read these wonderful love poems for more romantic words.
“I love you” quotes
1. “I love you because the entire universe conspired to help me find you.” —Paul Coelho, The Alchemist
2. “I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul.” ―Pablo Neruda
3. “I love you to the moon and back.” —Sam McBratney, Guess How Much I Love You
4. “Say ‘I love you’ out loud and often.” —
5. “For you see, each day I love you more, today more than yesterday and less than tomorrow.” —Rosemonde Gérard
Remember: You should love yourself, too. Here are some self-love quotes that make you feel like a million bucks.
Love quotes for him
6. “He is fairer than the morning star, and whiter than the moon. For his body I would give my soul, and for his love I would surrender heaven.” —Oscar Wilde
7. “The real lover is the man who can thrill you by kissing your forehead or smiling into your eyes or just staring into space.” —Marilyn Monroe
8. “Falling for him would be like cliff diving. It would be either the most exhilarating thing that ever happened to me or the stupidest mistake I’d ever make.” —
9. “As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.” —John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
10. “He’s more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.” —Emily Brontë, Wuthering Heights
If you’re enjoying these so far, read up on the best loyalty quotes that help you build honesty and trust.
Love quotes for her
11. “The simple lack of her is more to me than others’ presence.” —George Thomas
12. “I loved her against reason, against promise, against peace, against hope, against happiness, against all discouragement that could be.” —Charles Dickens, Great Expectations
13. “I fell in love with her courage, her sincerity, and her flaming self-respect. And it’s these things I’d believe in, even if the whole world indulged in wild suspicions that she wasn’t all she should be. I love her and it is the beginning of everything.” —F. Scott Fitzgerald
14. “I felt her absence. It was like waking up one day with no teeth in your mouth. You wouldn’t need to run to the mirror to know they were gone.” —
15. “Till my last day, I’ll be loving you.” —Unknown
Don’t forget to browse through these patience quotes that inspire peaceful persistence.
16. “My heart beats faster as you take my hand, my love grows stronger as you touch my soul.” —A.C. Van Cherub
17. “We lie in each other’s arms eyes shut and fingers open and all the colors of the world pass through our bodies like strings of fire.” —Marge Piercy
18. “You and I, it’s as though we have been taught to kiss in heaven and sent down to Earth together, to see if we know what we were taught.” —Boris Pasternak, Doctor Zhivago
19. “I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope…I have loved none but you.” —Jane Austen, Persuasion
20. “I am who I am because of you. You are every reason, every hope, and every dream I’ve ever had.” —Nicholas Sparks, The Notebook
21. “Because of you, I can feel myself slowly, but surely, becoming the me I have always dreamed of being.” —Tyler Knott Gregson
22. “Ancient lovers believed a kiss would literally unite their souls, because the spirit was said to be carried in one’s breath.” —Eve Glicksman
23. “In all the world, there is no heart for me like yours. In all the world, there is no love for you like mine.” —Maya Angelou
This is a great quote to include in a printable Valentine’s Day card for your sweetheart.
24. “There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.” ―Friedrich Nietzsche
25. “It isn’t possible to love and part. You will wish that it was. You can transmute love, ignore it, muddle it, but you can never pull it out of you. I know by experience that the poets are right: love is eternal.” —E.M. Forster, A Room With a View
26. “Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction.” —Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
27. “Did my heart love till now? Forswear it, sight! / For I ne’er saw true beauty till this night.” —William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet
28. “Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get—only with what you are expecting to give—which is everything.” —Katharine Hepburn
29. “If one day the moon calls you by your name don’t be surprised, because every night I tell her about you.” —Shahrazad al-Khalij. Don’t forget to share these good night quotes to inspire the sweetest dreams.
30. “The power of a glance has been so much abused in love stories, that it has come to be disbelieved in. Few people dare now to say that two beings have fallen in love because they have looked at each other. Yet it is in this way that love begins, and in this way only.” —Victor Hugo, Les Misérables
31. “Love doesn’t make the world go ’round. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile.” —Franklin P. Jones
32. “I am in you and you in me, mutual in divine love.” —William Blake
33. “It’s like in that moment the whole universe existed just to bring us together.” —Serendipity
34. “Love is like a friendship caught on fire. In the beginning a flame, very pretty, often hot and fierce, but still only light and flickering. As love grows older, our hearts mature and our love becomes as coals, deep-burning and unquenchable.” —Bruce Lee
Being yourself is essential in any relationship. Read these quotes about being yourself that inspire you to truly embrace everything you are.
Short love quotes
35. “Your words are my food, your breath my wine. You are everything to me.” —Sarah Bernhardt
36. “Chemistry is you touching my arm and setting fire to my mind.” —Nayyirah Waheed
37. “Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.” —Lao Tzu
38. “If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more.” ―Jane Austen, Emma
39. “Nobody has ever measured, not even poets, how much the heart can hold.” —Zelda Fitzgerald
40. “Love is so short, forgetting is so long.” —Pablo Neruda
41. “If you remember me, then I don’t care if everyone else forgets.” —Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore
42. “Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired.” —Robert Frost
43. “If I know what love is, it is because of you.” —Herman Hesse
44. “I swear I couldn’t love you more than I do right now, and yet I know I will tomorrow.” —Leo Christopher
45. “Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies.” —Aristotle
46. “Love is the whole thing. We are only pieces.” —Rumi
47. “All love is sweet—given or returned.” —Percy Bysshe Shelley
48. “Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality.” —Emily Dickinson
49. “Grow old along with me; the best is yet to be.” —Robert Browning
50. “There is no remedy for love but to love more.” —Henry David Thoreau
Sometimes, love ends. If that happens, these broken heart quotes will help you feel whole again.
True love quotes
51. “Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while.” —The Princess Bride
52. “True love is like ghosts, which everyone talks about and few have seen.” —François de la Rochefoucauld
54. “I saw that you were perfect, and so I loved you. Then I saw that you were not perfect and I loved you even more.” —Angelita Lim
55. “I can no longer think of anything but you. In spite of myself, my imagination carries me to you. I grasp you, I kiss you, I caress you, a thousand of the most amorous caresses take possession of me.” —Honoré de Balzac
56. “Sharing the same passionate love with another person gives a feeling of being alive! The experience of something real is unforgettable.” —Ellen J. Barrier
57. “There is never a time or place for true love. It happens accidentally, in a heartbeat, in a single flashing, throbbing moment.”—
58. “True love stories never have endings.” —Richard Bach
Want to see if it’s really true love? Try asking these 36 questions that are believed to lead to love.
Falling in love quotes
59. “I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun.” —Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
60. “When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.” —When Harry Met Sally…
61. “You can’t blame gravity for falling in love.” —Albert Einstein
62. “The greatest wonderful feeling is falling in love.” —Lailah Gifty Akita
63. “You can’t help who you fall in love with.” —
By the way, you have to read these real-life stories of couples falling in love! They’re incredible.
Funny love quotes
64. “I love being married. It’s so great to find one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.” —Rita Rudner
65. “If you love them in the morning with their eyes full of crust, if you love them at night with their hair full of rollers, chances are, you’re in love.” —Miles Davis
66. “Never go to bed mad. Stay up and fight.” —Phyllis Diller
67. “By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you’ll be happy. If you get a bad one, you’ll become a philosopher.” —Socrates
68. “The heart has its reasons, of which reason knows nothing.” —Blaise Pascal
69. “Love is being stupid together.” —Paul Valery
70. “It wasn’t love at first sight. It took a full five minutes.” —Lucille Ball
71. “Love is a two-way street constantly under construction.” —Carroll Bryant
72. “Love is something sent from heaven to worry the hell out of you.” —Dolly Parton
If you need more humor in your life, these funny quotes are sure to make you chuckle.
Cute love quotes
73. “You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” —Dr. Seuss
74. “If I had a flower for every time I thought of you…I could walk through my garden forever.” —Alfred Lord Tennyson
75. “I almost wish we were butterflies and liv’d but three summer days—three such days with you I could fill with more delight than fifty common years could ever contain.” —John Keats
76. “I would love to say that you make me weak in the knees, but to be quite upfront and completely truthful you make my body forget it has knees at all.” —Tyler Knott Gregson
77. “Love is the flower of life, and blossoms unexpectedly and without law, and must be plucked where it is found, and enjoyed for the brief hour of its duration.” —D.H. Lawrence
78. “If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you.” —A.A. Milne
79. “You are whatever a moon has always meant and whatever a sun will always sing.” —e. e. cummings, “i carry your heart with me”
80. “The best thing to hold onto in life is each other.” —Audrey Hepburn
81. “When you look at me, when you think of me, I am in paradise.” —William Makepeace Thackeray
82. “To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides.” —David Viscott
83. “Love is like the wind—you can’t see it but you can feel it.” —
84. “We are most alive when we’re in love.” —John Updike
Next, read up on the best love songs to add to your playlist.