100 Best “Merry Christmas” Wishes to Write Around the Holidays
These "Merry Christmas" wishes make deciding what to write in a Christmas card a whole lot easier
There’s nothing you love more at Christmas than getting festive holiday mail. But drafting your own Christmas cards? Let’s just say it’s not one of your favorite Christmas activities. Composing the perfect message can be hard, even when we’re writing to the people we love the most. Just remember, you don’t have to write a novel! Whoever receives your holiday greeting will be so excited you thought of them that simple “Merry Christmas” wishes will make them smile.
Similar to choosing the right “happy birthday” wishes, it’s a process to figure out what to write in a Christmas card, but it doesn’t have to be difficult. Think about the person you’re writing to, and try to personalize it so they know they’re getting something straight from you—not the same message as others on a long mass-mailing list. Would they appreciate some holiday-themed humor, a cute Christmas quote or something a bit more heartfelt? Pick out one of these printable Christmas cards, decide which Christmas card message from the list below best fits and you’re good to go! Once you’ve written out all the “Merry Christmas” wishes in your cards, it’s time to try out some fun new Christmas traditions.
Get Reader’s Digest’s Read Up newsletter for more on holidays, humor, cleaning, travel, tech and fun facts all week long.
RD.COM, GETTY IMAGES
“Merry Christmas” wishes for family
1. I’m so lucky to be spending another Christmas with you. Beyond thankful for you and all you do.
2. Holidays like Christmas remind me what I’m grateful for: you. Merry Christmas, and may we spend many more together.
3. The holidays are extra magical this year because I get to spend them with you. Merry Christmas—I love you!
4. Having you in my life is the best Christmas present I could ever ask for. Merry Christmas to my favorite person.
5. I’m so glad you’re my Christ-Mrs.! Merry Christmas, my dear.
6. You make every day as magical as Christmas. Thank you for all you do—I’m forever grateful.
7. You’re my favorite person to celebrate Christmas with. I’m looking forward to creating more holiday memories with you. Merry Christmas, my love!
8. This Christmas, I’m counting blessings instead of counting presents—and you’re certainly one of them. Happy holidays!
9. It’s not what’s under the tree that counts, it’s who’s around it. Thank you for being here for Christmas—love and appreciate you so much.
10. This Christmas, I’m on the lookout for the miracles all around me. One of those miracles? Our special relationship and how it’s grown over the years. Merry Christmas, love you!
11. Having loved ones close by is the greatest Christmas gift of all. Thank you for being here.
12. Spending money on someone is nice, but it’s the time you spend with them that remains in their hearts long after Christmas. I’ll forever cherish our holidays together.
13. Merry Christmas to a one-of-a-kind soul. Hoping all your Christmas wishes come true.
14. May you have joy, laughter and the makings of wonderful memories this holiday season. Love you so much!
15. Merry Christmas to someone I’m proud to call family. May your holiday be surrounded with joy and prosperity.
16. The holidays are a time to reflect on the things that make us happiest—and man, you’re definitely on that list for me. Merry Christmas to a great [parent/sibling].
17. Merry Christmas to someone who means the world to me. I can’t wait to see the incredible things you do in the new year. Love you!
18. Words can’t express the joy and happiness I feel when we spend the holidays together. Thank you so much for being here—Merry Christmas.
19. It’s the little things that mean the most around the holidays, like celebrating with dear family members. I’m so grateful you’re here to share in the joy. Merry Christmas!
20. Family is the ultimate Christmas gift, filled with love, laughter and endless support. You’re a priceless present year round. Happy holidays!
21. May the magic of Christmas fill your soul and glimmer throughout the year. Merry Christmas, [parent/sibling/spouse].
22. I cherish our past Christmases and look forward to our future holidays together. You mean the world to me, and I’m extra appreciative of you around this time. Merry Christmas, my dear.
23. My Christmas wish this year is for you to keep shining and spreading happiness. I’m forever grateful to have you in my life. Happy holidays, and many more!
24. Who needs Christmas presents when I have the best gift of all? You, of course, and your wonderful essence. Merry Christmas, my love.
25. Merry Christmas! May the holiday season fill your heart with joy and your mind with new cherished memories. I can’t wait to see what the new year brings you.
Add one of these Christmas card messages to a gift for your mom, dad, wife, husband or other family members to warm their hearts.
RD.COM, GETTY IMAGES
“Merry Christmas” wishes for friends
26. Feeling incredibly blessed to have you in my life this holiday season. Wishing all the best for you and yours.
27. You light up my life like a Christmas tree. So lucky to have you around! Happy holidays
28. Merry Christmas, pal! May your holidays sparkle with joy and laughter.
29. It’s people like you who make Christmas so special and meaningful. Thank you! I hope you have the best holiday ever.
30. I cherish our friendship more than any gift. I hope your holiday is filled with joy, prosperity and lots of love.
31. The holidays are always holly-jolly when we’re together. Enjoy the season, my friend!
32. Christmas is extra merry because I have you as a friend.
33. It’s Christmas—let the merriment begin! Hope you have a splendid holiday.
34. Having a friend like you is a Christmas wish come true.
35. I couldn’t ask Santa himself for a better friend. Merry Christmas!
36. Christmas is a time for family—so glad you’re part of my chosen brood. Happy holidays!
37. May your holidays be filled with as much joy and laughter as you’ve given me.
38. Christmas memories are the best kind. Let’s make some to last a lifetime!
39. May you always remain filled with the Christmas spirit. Happy holidays!
40. May your home be filled with warmth, love and joy this Christmas and always. Thank you for being there through everything. Love you!
41. May you never lose that kid-on-Christmas-morning feeling, pal—enjoy the holidays.
42. Here’s hoping Santa is good to you this year. Merry Christmas!
43. It’s people like you who make this season so magical. I hope you have a fabulous holiday!
44. Happy holidays to someone I have countless treasured memories with. May this Christmas be one for the books.
45. I hope the holidays bring you an abundance of peace and love. Merry Christmas!
46. A special friend like you deserves a special Christmas wish. I’m so thankful you’re in my life, and I hope your holiday is filled to the brim with happiness and delight.
47. On Christmas, it’s not about presents—it’s about the presence of those who mean the most. Thank you for being a friend I can always count on—enjoy the holiday.
48. Your friendship is the gift that keeps on giving. Have a wonderful Christmas, my friend!
49. I hope your holiday is filled with goodwill, cheer and plenty of laughter. You deserve the best—Merry Christmas.
50. Merry Christmas to the best friend I could have ever asked for. Your light glows year-round, but it’s extra bright around the holidays. Enjoy time with your family and know you are loved tremendously.
Putting Christmas cards together can be a great Christmas craft for kids!
RD.COM, GETTY IMAGES
“Merry Christmas” wishes for co-workers
51. I hope this holiday season brings you joy and happiness. I’m wishing you all the best during Christmas and into the new year. You deserve it!
52. May this message put a smile on your face this Christmas season. Happy holidays to you and your loved ones!
53. Wishing you a season that’s merry and bright!
54. Enjoy some well-deserved time off. Looking forward to working with you more in the new year.
55. Thank you for all you’ve done this year. Enjoy the holiday season!
56. Wishing all the best to you and your family this holiday season. See you in the new year.
57. Thanks for the great year! Hoping you have a wonderful holiday season.
58. See you at the Christmas party for HR-approved merriness!
59. Thank you for all your hard work this year.
60. You’ve done such a great job this year. Enjoy your holiday!
61. Have a great holiday break—try not to miss me too much.
62. Take time this Christmas to slow down and enjoy the little things. Have a wonderful holiday.
63. Merry Christmas! Wishing you health and happiness this holiday season and a wonderful new year.
64. Wishing you less stress and a little more holiday magic this Christmas season.
65. May your holidays be filled with warmth and laughter.
66. From our family to yours, wishing you a truly Merry Christmas.
67. Cheers to a wonderful holiday season surrounded by loved ones. Enjoy!
68. Thank you for being a great co-worker and always helping out. Hope you have a wonderful holiday.
69. Merry Christmas to one of the hardest-working people I know. May your holiday be relaxing and filled with joy.
70. Sending the warmest holiday wishes to you and your loved ones this Christmas.
71. Season’s greetings and best wishes to you this Christmas. Have a lovely holiday.
72. May holiday cheer fill your home with warmth and happiness. Merry Christmas!
73. Thank you for giving us a special gift year-round: being a great co-worker. Happy holidays!
74. Merry Christmas—and thank you for your spectacular work. I’m grateful to work beside you.
75. I hope your Christmas shines as bright as you do at work. Cheers to a wonderful holiday season.
Tack this message on to your co-worker’s Christmas gift for added sentiment.
RD.COM, GETTY IMAGES
Funny “Merry Christmas” wishes
76. Because I definitely won’t be organized enough to send any cards in the new year: happy holidays. There. That should cover everything from now until Easter.
77. The true gift of Christmas is the time we spend together. That’s why I didn’t get you anything else.
78. I ho-ho-hope you have a great Christmas!
79. Here’s hoping you survive the holiday season with your sanity and bank account intact. Merry Christmas.
80. Since I’m pretty sure you’re not getting anything from Santa this year, I thought I’d send you this card so you’d have something to open.
81. Just to show I care, I went to a real post office and bought real stamps to send you something old-fashioned: real mail.
82. Marjorie Holmes once said, “At Christmas, all roads lead home.” I wonder how much Mom paid her to say that.
83. May there be plenty of laughs and minimal cleanup in your home during the holidays. Enjoy!
84. You may not be on Santa’s nice list, but you’re sure on mine!
85. At this time of year, we’re so often reminded of what’s truly important: mom’s cooking.
86. Here’s hoping Yule have the best Christmas ever this year!
87. Merry Christmas! May your happiness be large and your bills be small.
88. Christmas, where the sweaters are ugly, but the spirit is beautiful. Happy holidays!
89. Hope you have a fa-la-la-la-la-la-bulous Christmas.
90. We’re going to have an elfin’ good time this Christmas. Happy holidays!
91. I saw your name on Santa’s naughty list, but don’t worry—I swapped it over to the nice list. You owe me for getting that past St. Nick.
92. Oh, I’m filled with the Christmas spirit alright—I’ve been sipping on it since 10 a.m. Cheers!
93. I see you needed a star topper for your tree. Feel free to tape up a picture of a true star: me. Merry Christmas!
94. Hope you have a lovely holiday—don’t let the reindeer suck you into their games. Trust me, you won’t win.
95. The older I get, the more I understand why the Grinch wanted to spend the day alone with his dog. But hey, I’m happy to make my way down Mount Crumpit for you. Merry Christmas!
96. They’ll let anyone on the nice list these days, huh? Have a great holiday—and tell me how you managed to swing that one.
97. Don’t tell Santa, but I already ate all the Christmas cookies. Hope he doesn’t send the elves for me. Wishing you a Merry Christmas now though, just in case …
98. Red truly is the color of the season: Santa’s suit, Rudolph’s nose, my face after seeing my credit card bill. May your holiday spirit be lifted—and your credit line be increased!
99. Don’t forget: The Elf on the Shelf is always watching. Hope you’re being good this Christmas!
100. Remember: Count the blessings, not the calories. Have a bountiful Christmas!
Now that you’re done writing your cards, bake your favorite cookies, put up your tree and learn a bit more about the history behind your favorite Christmas symbols.
Additional reporting by Kelly Kuehn.