40 Best Back-to-School Sales Happening Right Now
Back-to-school sales are officially in full swing, and you're about to save big. Funnel your newfound cash into your kids’ college funds and thank us later.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
A crash course on back-to-school savings
Pop quiz: When is the best time to get the biggest discounts on everything your kids need? Answer: Right now! Even though summer’s still very much here, back-to-school sales have already started, and whether you’re looking for everyday learning gear or dorm essentials, you won’t want to miss them. After all, kids are expensive, so parents need to save where they can.
“Back-to-school is the second busiest and most expensive shopping season of the year, following the winter holidays,” says family finance expert Andrea Woroch. “Parents often feel stressed about affording everything their kids need. Between pricey tech items like tablets and laptops (and the best laptop backpacks) on today’s school supply list and inflation that is causing everything from clothing to supplies to even groceries for your kids’ lunches to go up, spending can quickly add up.”
Whatever you do, don’t put off back-to-school shopping until the last minute. The longer you wait, the less selection there will be; you might also miss the prime times for the steepest discounts. Scroll through to find exactly what you need for the kids, and pick up a few things for yourself while you’re at it—after all, many of these items aren’t just for the pint-sized set. Then check out this handy guide to the best Labor Day sales for even more smart savings.
Back-to-school sales on clothing and shoes
It may seem too hot to even think about denim, sweatshirts and other cooler-weather essentials, but now is the time to stock up. Trust us—you can get up to 80% off regular retail pricing right now. And even though you might be in denial, you’ll need these items in just a few weeks when the air starts to turn crisp in most parts of the country.
- Bleuet: Now through August 17, take 30% off training bras for tweens and teens with code BTS30 at checkout. The brand’s Bleuet Bleum Bra is a perennial favorite for middle schoolers that layers like a tank while offering light, comfortable support and protection.
- Gymboree: Now through September 12, get a $10 gift coupon with a gift card purchase or $50 or more. Plus, the entire store is discounted up to 60% off usual retail prices. Denim, school uniforms, dressy outfits for holidays, pajamas and play clothes are all marked down dramatically.
- Hanna Andersson: Make the most of up to 40% off everything and an extra 20% off clearance during Hanna Andersson Labor Day and back-to-school sales running from August 28 through September 5. Pajamas, matching family outfits, tees and cozy essentials are all marked down to irresistible prices.
- Kohl’s: Shop Kohl’s throughout the month of August and see markdowns on back-to-school categories like tees, denim, shoes, active essentials, backpacks, uniforms and intimates. Save as much as 60% with some doorbuster items. Brands including Adidas, Under Armour and more have already hit the Kohl’s clearance rack with prices starting under $5 for graphic tees.
- LoneCone: These boots were made for splashing! Pick up these colorful Amazon best sellers that parents can’t seem to get enough of. They’re currently selling for less than $20 in a variety of prints and sizes, and Prime members can get them shipped fast and free, too.
- Naot: Remember when we said that back-to-school sales weren’t just for kids? Treat yourself to some of the best walking shoes for women, and pick up a few pairs for your teen, too. The brand’s entire lineup is up to 80% off throughout August. Score some new sandals at rock-bottom prices if you live in a warm climate, or stick to the brand’s always-popular booties and sneaker-style shoes.
- Native Shoes: Now through September 5, get 20% off when you bundle the classic Jefferson Child shoes, Kensington Treklite boots or Robbie Sugarlite shoes together.
- Old Navy: Take advantage of not one but two epic sales at Old Navy over the next few weeks. Get up to 60% off select kids and sale styles from $6 now through August 12, and then come back for another round of slashed prices at the store’s back-to-school sales event from August 12 through 19, with hundreds of styles for every age group starting at just $8. This family-favorite store is known for its incredible deals on leggings and loungewear sets, so make sure to check out those sections while you shop.
- Shoe Carnival: Take $10 off your purchase of $79.98 or greater now through September 11. The deal is good on just about everything and is honored both online and in-store. Parents in search of gym sneakers and fall boots should count this as one of their go-to back-to-school sales for 2022.
- Tea Collection: This bestselling brand is full of kid-friendly wardrobe staples that tend to sell out, so take advantage of the Stock Up Event running now through August 21. Take 15% off any three items, 20% off four items or a whopping 25% off orders of five or more pieces. Plus, the brand’s clearance section is brimming with shirts, shorts, swimwear, leggings and more at up to 70% off their usual prices. FYI, even when this sale isn’t going on, the site’s clearance section is a treasure trove of high-end children’s gear at bargain-basement prices, so make sure to check back regularly.
- The Children’s Place: Take up to 70% off usual prices at this always-affordable store that has fashionable finds for babies all the way up to teens. Running through the entire month of August, you’ll find various promotions, all with one thing in common—rock-bottom prices and back-to-school savings of up to 70% off, and sometimes more.
- The Sunday Collective: Score up to 40% off high-end childrenswear at Maisonette in honor of the back-to-school season. It’s the best time of year to stock up on playtime favorites, dressy outfits for family photoshoots and holiday-ready looks. Hurry up and shop fall pieces fast—they’re bound to sell out before school starts.
- Walmart: Thousands of prices are rolled back across Walmart’s apparel department including trendy sneakers for girls priced at only $10 and leggings, sweats and uniform essentials starting at $4.
- Zulily: Take up to 90% off retail prices now through September when Zulily focuses on back-to-school fashion and supplies. We already found Champion sweatshirts and Bentgo lunchboxes for 50% off and Barefoot Dreams loungewear essentials up to 65% off.
Back-to-school sales on school supplies
Some school supplies never change—no matter their grade, kids will still need all the usual pencils, paper, glue and other learning gear. You’ll find the essentials at up to 75% off throughout August if you know where to look. Also, while August is a prime time for these sorts of sales, here’s when you’ll find other cheap finds in every category throughout the year.
- Slumberkins: Take up to 40% off the Slumberkins Back to School collection through the month of August and watch the growing mind in your home light up with literacy-fueled joy. The products offer the ideal combination of healthy bedtime routines and early reading skills.
- Staples: Well, this is bright! Shoppers can get school supplies including notebooks, composition books, glue and erasers for as low as 50 cents throughout the month of August.
- Target: Everyone’s favorite affordable retailer has announced that more than 80% of its back-to-school sales and collection will be made up of products under $10 this year, and that’s welcome news to frugal shoppers. The deals will include 75-cent notebooks, $5 graphic tees and 50-cent Crayola crayon packs. College students will also see bold discounts on everything they need, from 50-cent Room Essentials cereal bowls to $4 pillows.
- Walmart: Get a glittery Justice pencil case under $11 or a 24-pack of Crayola Crayons for just 50 cents, then check back for loads of other back-to-school discounts during the month of August. Just about everything on your back-to-school shopping list is cheaper than ever, but popular items will sell out—so hurry up! Better yet, Walmart Plus members get fast, free shipping and products often arrive the very same day.
Back-to-school sales on electronics
The brainiac in your life needs the right electronics to keep them up to speed with their lessons and their classmates. All set for the start of the school year? Stock up early for the holidays—these items make great tech gifts that kids (and parents) will love!
- Canon: Bestselling Canon Pixma printers are on sale now through August 27. This Canon Pixma TS702a wireless printer is marked down below $100, making it an excellent choice for college students on tight budgets (and with limited space).
- Unistellar: Are you ready for out-of-this-world savings? Good, because from September 5 through the end of the month, Unistellar’s bestselling eVscope eQuinox telescope will be 30% off its usual retail price. Scientifically speaking, this deal is too good to pass up.
- Walmart: This HP Chromebook is now just $98 at Walmart, making it an extremely attractive laptop choice for learners of all ages and stages. With a backpack-friendly size and 32GB of storage, it’s a hard deal to pass up.
Back-to-school sales on personal care and wellness
Don’t forget about wellness, hygiene and beauty essentials. During August’s back-to-school sales, refill your favorites or upgrade your child’s products to help them embrace proper hygiene and healthy study habits. Major brands are doing their best to keep their most popular products within reach for back-to-school season, with discounts up to 60% off and some items priced as low as $1.
- Band-Aid: When you buy three qualifying Band-Aid first aid products from Target this month, they’ll throw in a free first aid bag in a trendy back-to-school design emblazoned with bright, stylish colors.
- DiscountGlasses.com: Load up on prescription glasses, sunglasses, readers and blue light blockers at 30% off with code BTS30M now through August 31.
- GlassesUSA.com: Take 60% off frames for eyeglasses and sunglasses with basic prescription lenses and free shipping now through August 31. Enter code DEAL60 to access the savings.
- Jonas Paul Eyewear: Save up to $40 off prescription youth glasses with code BTS2022 at checkout now through August 31.
Back-to-school sales on dorm and home office essentials
Decking out a new dorm room can be a daunting task—and also expensive. Since August is when most young adults head back to college campuses around the country, stores offer dorm essentials at low prices to push volume. We’re talking up to 60% off, so you might want to pick up some of these items for your home office, too.
- Allswell: Need a new mattress? Buy one at Allswell now through August 11 using promo code SCHOOL20 at checkout, and you’ll get 20% off the brand’s entire line of mattresses, as well as bedding and bath products. They’re incredibly affordable even without the discount, so this is definitely one of the best back-to-school sales to shop if you want to save a bundle.
- CassaroKids: Take 20% off playroom and toddler gear at CassaroKids as part of Labor Day and back-to-school sales running August 28 through September 5. Enter code LABORDAY20 at checkout to score the deal.
- Cozy Earth: Get 20 to 25% off all sustainable bamboo sheet sets from eco-friendly brand Cozy Earth between August 22 and September 12 using the code LABORDAY22 at checkout. Bamboo, by the way, ranks high among cooling bed sheets, so if you’ve got a hot sleeper, this is the set you’ll want to get.
- HomeGoods: Take up to 80% off retail prices on everything from twin XL bedding to dorm decor throughout the month of August. Younger students can also make the most of fun lunch boxes, drinkware and more while they’re marked down to seldom-seen prices. We even found Hydro Flask water bottles as low as $22.
- Marshalls: Grab towels, plates and decor for a steal at Marshalls’ end-of-summer clearance event, happening right now. Find high-quality, ultra-soft bath towels and happiness-inspiring art and signs for up to 80% off retail prices. Stock is constantly changing, but if you play your cards right, this popular retailer may even have desks, chairs and bedding for less than you’ll find anywhere else.
- Saatva: Check out The Saatva Back-to-School Bundle, a collection of essential bedding items including organic cotton sheets, a down alternative pillow and a foam mattress topper. The bundle rings in at a significantly discounted price and comes in both twin and twin XL sizes—ideal for dorms.
- Society6: Take 25 to 40% off everything in the Back to School collection now through the end of August. Dorm-ready art prints, posters, tech items and office gear are all included in the markdowns.
- Wayfair: Shop Wayfair’s desk closeouts section for a wide selection of high-end desks that are either open stock, clearance, or on sale now through Labor Day. Most are well under $100 and look like expensive designer pieces.
Back-to-school sales on lunch supplies and snacks
Back-to-school sales aren’t just for notebooks and dorm bedding. You’ll also find snack-time favorites, lunch-making equipment, food, drinks and other yummy finds for up to half off their usual retail prices. They’re great for school, of course, but they also make terrific road trip snacks for an end-of-summer vacation or a drive to drop off your college student.
- Grosche: Now through August 31, take 25% off Lil Chill water bottles and Chicago tea infuser bottles in either 22 or 32-ounce sizes. The brand will also throw in a free gift for orders of $50 or more, and you can personalize the entire lineup of etch-able bottles for free.
- Mariani Fruit: Head to Amazon from August 11 through August 31 to take 20% off all Mariani’s top-rated items including lunchbox favorites like dried apricots. Enter code 20Bck2School at checkout to take advantage of this very delicious deal.
- Once Upon A Farm: Take 30% off your first pouch or kid-friendly meal subscription delivery now through September 5. Enter code BTS30 at checkout to take advantage of the savings.
- Rind Snacks: Load your cart up with good-for-you all-natural eats from Rind Snacks while they’re BOGO 50% off during the Snack 2 School sale running August 18 through August 25. The discount is valid on all 12-packs, including popular variety packs.
- Walgreens: Check Walgreens’ paperless coupons section for near steals on favorite snack foods. Plus, take an extra 15% off a $30 purchase of nearly anything on Walgreens.com using code SCHOOL15.
- Walmart: Shop thousands of snack and lunchbox rollbacks now through early September. These Ritz Crisp & Thins specialty crackers are already rolled back to just $3 for a large 7.1-ounce package.
- Yumble Kids: Enjoy 50% off a week of meal deliveries for the pickiest eaters when you enter code BTS50 at checkout now through September 12.
Do you have a few other things on your to-buy list right now? Check out these Labor Day sales on appliances that will also save you a bundle.
Stop hunting for the best products and deals—get our expert scoop on secret sales and discounts, gift ideas for everyone and can’t-miss products. Sign up for the Stuff We Love newsletter.
- Andrea Woroch, family finance expert