The 9 Best Luggage Brands for Every Type of Travel and Budget
You can't plan your next trip without finding the right bag for your packing needs. The best luggage brands of 2023 offer something for every traveler—and budget.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
RD.COM, VIA MERCHANT (3)
Which brand is best for luggage?
We’ll discuss the top brands below—but first, you’ll want to determine which type of luggage is right for you. Whether you’re a frequent or infrequent flyer, it’s essential to find a piece of luggage that meets your individual needs and gets you through TSA quickly. The best luggage brands offer something for every budget and traveler, but to find your perfect luggage fit, you need to know the types of luggage available.
- Checked baggage goes under the airplane and needs to be handed off to airline personnel upon arrival at the airport. These bags can be larger and include full-size toiletries and liquids.
- Carry-on luggage is, as its name suggests, compact enough to carry onto the airplane and meets the size restrictions of the airline you’re flying. Following the TSA carry-on rules will prevent any issues and makes it easy to travel lightly.
- Underseat luggage is even smaller than a carry-on, designed to fit directly under the seat as opposed to in the overhead bin.
If you’re looking for more than one piece of baggage, consider investing in a luggage set, which offers smart value as well as a wide variety of styles, colors and materials. Meanwhile, tech enthusiasts will appreciate smart bags, which typically come complete with a built-in battery to charge your devices. Just avoid a travel mistake by remembering to remove the batteries if you’re checking the bag.
The best luggage brands
We found the top-reviewed and top-performing luggage brands for every type of travel and budget:
Best overall luggage brand
Briggs & Riley
Briggs & Riley is among the best luggage brands for every traveler. The high-end suitcases come in both hard-shell and soft-shell varieties. The brand makes most of its hard-sided bags with sturdy polycarbonate; the majority of its soft-sided options are crafted with ballistic nylon, which is known for its incredible longevity.
Some pieces, like the Carry-on Expandable Spinner, also offer additional features like built-in garment panels (which help prevent clothes from wrinkling), RFID-blocking pockets to keep your info safe and the brand’s proprietary PowerPocket, which allows for easy USB charging while on the go. Just connect your favorite portable charger.
- Luggage collection spans from soft-shell suitcases, hard-shell luggage and duffels
- Known for its durability
- Bonus features for safety, accessibility and expanded space
- High-end quality comes with higher prices
- Suitcases can weigh up to 10 pounds, so they’re not the most lightweight option
Best value luggage brand
Beis Travel designs luggage that combines style and functionality, making packing a breeze (speaking of functionality, check out this luggage cup holder). Its most popular bags, like the Beis luggage Check-In Roller, include a carrying loop to hold handbags, totes and other personal items, as well as a built-in luggage scale (so you’ll always travel smarter and lighter!) and TSA-approved locks. The roomy interior is also chock-full of noteworthy features, including multiple compartments, dividers and mesh pockets to keep your belongings organized. Pair it with the Beis Mini Weekender and you’ll be good to go.
- Similar look and style as competitors for a fraction of the price
- Built-in interior pockets and storage for laundry, undergarments, etc.
- Weight indicator to avoid overweight baggage
- Smart features like carrying loop and built-in scale
- Limited color options
- No trial period
Most durable luggage brand
Monos is a Canadian company that’s renowned for its durable hard-shell suitcases, which are made with the company’s signature unbreakable polycarbonate shell that’s lightweight yet strong. Every Monos luggage features a sturdy handle and locks that won’t get you stopped at security by a TSA agent. Some—like the Hybrid Carry-On—come with luxurious details such as whisper-quiet wheels and antimicrobial interior fabric.
- Durable suitcases made with high-quality materials
- Limited lifetime warranty
- 100-day trial period to ensure customer satisfaction
- Not ideal for those on a budget, though the investment is long-lasting
- No soft-sided options available
Best variety luggage brand
Founded by a commercial airline pilot, Travelpro signature suitcases—the most famous being the two-wheeled Rollaboard—have accumulated plenty of praise for their self-aligning spinner wheels that make maneuverability a breeze. The brand continues to roll out (pun intended!) hard-shelled and soft-sided luggage outfitted with features like FAA-friendly USB ports, built-in dividers and locks.
Most Travelpro luggage offers fold-out or built-in garment bags to save time on trying to figure out how to unwrinkle clothing without an iron.
- Top-notch hard-sided and soft-shell suitcases options (including underseat luggage)
- Lifetime warranty and 100-day trial
- Exterior pockets provide extra storage space
- Basic color options, though there are lots of bag styles to choose from
- Styles with lots of special features can be pricey
Best luggage sets
Calpak makes fashion-forward luggage in an array of color and pattern options. The brand’s best luggage sets are well-priced given their sleek design and resilient polycarbonate exterior. Calpak equips its luggage with interior pockets, mesh dividers, TSA-approved locks and 360-degree spinner wheels.
Even better? These bags can expand up to two additional inches. You’ll never lose your Calpak luggage with this pretty rose gold luggage set.
- Reasonably priced given the quality and number of bags in each set
- Stylish suitcase options, from marble-printed ones to a chic rose gold finish
- Expandable design
- No lifetime warranty
- No soft-sided options
Best splurge luggage brand
ROAM Luggage is known for its completely customizable offerings, making it well worth the splurge—especially if you’re a frequent flyer. Customize everything from the water-repellent zipper to the wheels to the handles and shell color according to your preferences. The built-in lock adds a nice touch, too. We especially love the lifetime warranty that comes standard with every bag, so it’s among the best luggage brands for peace of mind.
- Chic, customizable suitcases complete with complimentary monogramming
- Polycarbonate shells are sturdy and resilient
- 100-day free trial and lifetime warranty
- While the brand does offer expandable suitcases, it’s at an extra cost
- Price reflects the high-quality offerings
Best luggage brand under $150
Budget travelers will love the wide selection of luggage from Amazon Basics, most of which is extremely affordable at under $150. The brand offers soft-sided spinner bags, hard-shell carry-ons, sturdy check-in size suitcases and garment bags., to name but a few options. Choose from a wide range of colors, from bright orange to basic black and beyond.
While not every bag has a built-in lock, most are expandable (some up to 25%!), which is especially convenient if you’re an over-packer.
- Wallet-friendly—most of these cheap luggage picks clock in at under $150
- Soft-sided and hard-shell options
- No lifetime warranties
- Not all options have locks
Best luggage brand for frequent flyers
Away Travel always tops the list of best luggage brands, and for good reason. We love that these durable suitcases come with a lifetime guarantee—an excellent perk if you’re somone who likes to check-in luggage. What’s more, the suitcase’s trademark hard shell—which comes in a number of trend-forward hues—is made of polycarbonate that’s strong enough to carry you (and your belongings!) through hundreds of flights.
Other outstanding Away luggage features include a hidden laundry bag, 360-degree spinner wheels and a built-in lock. Plus, the Carry-On models have the option to include an ejectable battery.
- Polycarbonate shell is lightweight yet durable for frequent travel
- Sleek, design-forward suitcases in trendy colors
- Built-in lock and removable laundry bag come standard with all luggage
- No soft-sided options
- Built-in battery can take up to eight hours to charge
Best luggage brand for kids and teens
Pottery Barn Teen
Traveling with kids in tow? Snag some of the best kids luggage from Pottery Barn Teen. Options abound, from Harry Potter-themed bags to colorful tie-dye and ombre varieties. Choose from oversized duffels to large check-in suitcases to compact carry-ons and luggage sets.
- Fun and funky colors and patterns kids will love
- Lots of variety (duffels, carry-ons, sets, etc.)
- Reasonable price
- Some options weigh as much as 10.5 pounds, which can be heavy for little ones
- Not the most durable option
What to look for when buying the best luggage brands
To find the best luggage brand for you, travel blogger Kara Harms advises to “look at the fabric type, the number and placement of pockets, wheel rotation and other hardware details on top of the internal size of the luggage.” She prefers bags with “some sort of security feature built-in,” such as TSA-approved locks, to prevent people from breaking into your bag, which she says “has absolutely happened before while traveling.”
P.S. If you’re shopping around the holidays, these are the best luggage deals for any getaway.
How we chose the best luggage brands
As shopping experts, our only job is to help you find a winning product. We start with the research and reporting basics—what products are made of, what they look like and how much they cost—to ensure that we’re only recommending the buys that are worth your time and money. Then, we research the features that speak to the product’s quality, taking advice from industry insiders and subject matter experts on what makes a product a smart value (or worthy of a splurge). Finally, we do the work of combing through user reviews to see how real people interact with the product and if it stands up to the test.
Is hard-shell or soft-sided luggage better?
The best luggage brands feature high-quality materials, so both hard-shell bags and soft-sided luggage are durable in different ways.
Because of its fabric exterior, soft-sided luggage is easy to store and maneuver. These bags also tend to be more lightweight than hard-sided luggage. Plus, many of them also have exterior pockets, which is handy for storing essentials, electronics or anything you may need to grab in-transit.
On the other hand, hard-shell luggage boasts a sturdy exterior, which is generally made with plastic or aluminum. Since hard-shell suitcases are, well, harder, they may offer more protection if there are fragile items packed in your carry-on. They’re also easier to clean incase you forget your toiletry bag and encounter a spill situation.
What size is carry-on luggage?
The typical size of carry on luggage is 22 inches-by-14 inches-by-9 inches. This measurement includes the handle and wheels. Carry-on luggage rules can be strict, and it’s important to check the requirements before arriving at the airport. There may be an inch or two difference between various airlines’ carry-on bag policies.
What is the weight limit for luggage?
The standard weight limit for a checked luggage on most domestic airlines is 50 pounds per bag. However, there are some airlines who have a maximum of 70 pounds per checked bag. Check with the airline you’ll be flying with to ensure you know the exact weight limit before you begin packing your bags.
- Kara Harms, travel blogger at Whimsy Soul