The 9 Best Luggage Brands for Every Type of Travel and Budget
You can't plan your next trip without finding the right bag for your packing needs. The best luggage brands of 2022 offer something for every traveler—and budget.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
RD.COM, VIA MERCHANT (3)
Which brand is best for luggage?
Whether you’re a frequent or infrequent flyer, it’s essential to find a piece of luggage that meets your individual needs and gets you through TSA quickly. The best luggage brands offer something for every budget and traveler, but to find your perfect luggage fit, you need to know the types of luggage available.
- Checked baggage goes under the airplane and needs to be handed off to airline personnel upon arrival at the airport. These bags can be larger and include full-size toiletries and liquids.
- Carry-on luggage is, as its name suggests, compact enough to carry onto the airplane and meets the size restrictions of the airline you’re flying.
- Underseat luggage is even smaller than a carry-on, designed to fit directly under the seat as opposed to in the overhead bin.
If you’re looking for more than one piece of baggage, consider investing in a luggage set, which offers smart value as well as a wide variety of styles, colors and materials. Meanwhile, tech enthusiasts will appreciate smart luggage, which comes complete with a built-in battery to charge your devices. Just avoid a travel mistake by remembering to remove the batteries if you’re checking the bag.
To find the best luggage brand for you, travel blogger Kara Harms advises to “look at the fabric type, the number and placement of pockets, wheel rotation and other hardware details on top of the internal size of the luggage.” She prefers bags with “some sort of security feature built-in,” such as TSA-approved locks, to prevent people from breaking into your bag, which she says “has absolutely happened before while traveling.” P.S. If you’re shopping around the holidays, these are the best luggage deals for any getaway.
Which brand of luggage is the most durable?
The best luggage brands feature high-quality materials, so both hard-shell bags and soft-sided luggage are durable in different ways.
Because of their fabric exterior, soft-sided suitcases are easy to store and maneuver. They also tend to be more lightweight than hard-sided luggage. Plus, many of them also have exterior pockets. On the other hand, hard-shell luggage boasts a sturdy exterior, which is generally made with plastic or aluminum. Since hard-shell suitcases are, well, harder, they may offer more protection if there are fragile items packed in your carry-on. They’re also easier to clean incase you forget your toiletry bag and encounter a spill situation.
The best luggage brands
We found the top-reviewed and top-performing luggage brands for every type of travel and budget:
- Best overall: Briggs & Riley
- Best value: Beis Travel
- Best durability: Monos
- Best variety: Travelpro
- Best luggage sets: Calpak
- Best under $100: Amazon Basics
- Best splurge: ROAM Luggage
- Best for frequent flyers: Away Travel
- Best for kids and teens: Pottery Barn Teen
Briggs & Riley
Briggs & Riley is among the best luggage brands for every traveler. The high-end suitcases come in both hard- and soft-shell varieties. Most of their hard-sided bags are made with sturdy polycarbonate, while a majority of their soft-sided options are crafted with ballistic nylon, known for its incredible longevity. Some, like the Carry-on Expandable Spinner, also offer additional features like built-in garment panels (which help prevent clothes from wrinkling), RFID-blocking pockets to keep your info safe and the brand’s proprietary PowerPocket, which allows for easy USB charging while on the go. Just connect your favorite portable charger.
- Luggage collection spans from soft-shell suitcases, hard-shell luggage and duffels
- Known for its durability
- Bonus features for safety, accessibility and expanded space
- High-end quality comes with higher prices
- Suitcases can weigh up to 10 pounds, so it’s not the most lightweight option
Beis Travel designs luggage that combines style and functionality, making packing a breeze. Features of their most popular bags like the Check-In Roller include a carrying loop to hold handbags, totes and other personal items, as well as a built-in scale (read: no more overweight luggage!) and TSA-approved locks. The roomy interior is also chock-full of noteworthy features, including multiple compartments, dividers and mesh pockets to keep your belongings organized.
- Similar look and style as competitors—for a fraction of the price
- Built-in interior pockets and storage for laundry, undergarments, etc.
- Weight indicator to avoid overweight baggage
- Limited color options
- No trial period
Monos is a Canadian company that’s renowned for its durable hard-shell suitcases, which are made with the company’s signature unbreakable polycarbonate shell that’s lightweight yet strong. Every Monos bag features a sturdy handle and TSA-friendly locks, and some—like the Hybrid Carry-On—come with luxurious details such as whisper-quiet wheels and antimicrobial interior fabric. The best part about Monos? You have 100 days to try their luggage. If you don’t like it, simply send it back.
- Durable suitcases made with high-quality materials
- Limited lifetime warranty
- 100-day trial period to ensure customer satisfaction
- Not ideal for those on a budget, though the investment is long-lasting
- No soft-sided options available
Founded by a commercial airline pilot, Travelpro brand’s signature suitcases—the most famous being the two-wheeled Rollaboard—have accumulated plenty of praise for their self-aligning spinner wheels, which make maneuverability a breeze. Today, the brand continues to roll out (pun-intended!) hard-shelled and soft-sided luggage outfitted with features like FAA-friendly USB ports, built-in dividers and locks. Most offer fold-out or built-in garment bags to prevent clothes from wrinkling.
- Top-notch hard-sided and soft-shell suitcases options (including underseat luggage)
- Lifetime warranty and 100-day trial
- Exterior pockets provide extra storage space
- Basic color options, though there are lots of bag styles to choose from
- Styles with lots of special features can be pricey
Best luggage sets
Calpak makes fashion-forward luggage in an array of color and pattern options. The brand’s best luggage sets are well-priced given their sleek design and resilient polycarbonate exterior. They’re also equipped with interior pockets and mesh dividers, as well as a TSA-approved locks and 360-degree spinner wheels. Even better? These bags can expand up to two additional inches. You’ll never lose your bag with this pretty rose gold luggage set.
- Reasonably priced given the quality and number of bags in each set
- Stylish suitcase options, from marble-printed ones to a chic rose gold finish
- Expandable design
- No lifetime warranty
- No soft-sided options
ROAM Luggage is known for its completely customizable offerings, making it well worth the splurge—especially if you’re a frequent flyer. Customize everything from the water-repellent zipper to the wheels to the handles (in addition to the shell color, of course) according to your preferences. The built-in lock adds a nice touch, too. We especially love the lifetime warranty that comes standard with every bag.
- Chic, customizable suitcases complete with complimentary monogramming
- Polycarbonate shells are sturdy and resilient
- 100-day free trial and lifetime warranty
- While the brand does offer expandable suitcases, it’s at an extra cost
- Price reflects the bespoke offerings
Best under $100
Budget travelers will love the wide selection of luggage from Amazon Basics, most of which is extremely affordable at under $100. The brand offers soft-sided and hard-shell carry-ons and checked bags, as well as wheeled duffels. Choose from a wide range of colors, from bright orange to basic black and beyond. While not every bag has a built-in lock, they are expandable (some up to 25%!), which is especially convenient if you’re an overpacker.
- Wallet-friendly: Most clock in at under $100
- Soft-sided and hard-shell options
- No lifetime warranties
- Not all options have locks
Like these? Check out more of the best Amazon luggage picks to take on your next getaway.
Best for frequent flyers
Away Travel always tops the list of best luggage brands, and for good reason. Harms especially loves the brand for its “incredible” lifetime warranty, and she describes the suitcases as “durable.” What’s more, the suitcase’s trademark hard shell—which comes in a number of trend-forward hues—is made of polycarbonate that’s strong enough to carry you (and your belongings!) through hundreds of flights. Other features include a hidden laundry bag, 360-degree spinner wheels and a built-in lock. Plus, the Carry-On models have the option to include an ejectable battery.
- Polycarbonate shell is lightweight yet durable for frequent travel
- Sleek, design-forward suitcases in trendy colors
- Built-in lock and removable laundry bag come standard with all luggage
- No soft-sided options
- Built-in battery can take up to eight hours to charge
Best for kids and teens
Pottery Barn Teen
Traveling with kids in tow? Snag some luggage from Pottery Barn Teen, one of the best luggage brands for children and teens. Options abound, from Harry Potter-themed bags to colorful tie-dye and metallic varieties. Choose from oversized duffels to large check-in suitcases to compact carry-ons and luggage sets.
- Fun and funky colors and patterns kids will love
- Lots of variety (duffels, carry-ons, sets, etc.)
- Some options weigh as much as 10.5 pounds, which can be heavy for little ones
- Not the most durable option
Source: Kara Harms, travel blogger of whimsysoul.com
Stop hunting for the best products and deals—get our expert scoop on secret sales and discounts, gift ideas for everyone and can’t-miss products. Sign up for the Stuff We Love newsletter.