The 5 Best Mattresses for Side Sleepers in 2023
Get the sleep of your dreams with the best mattress for side sleepers.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
RD.COM, VIA MERCHANT (4)
Forgo the long nights of watching the clock tick as you toss and turn. Forget uncomfortably lying in bed for hours—with your mind racing with questions about how to purchase a new mattress so you can finally get a good night’s sleep. There are a variety of best mattresses for side sleepers that will help you achieve the sleep of your dreams.
Sleeping on your side is healthier than sleeping on your back or stomach. It aids in the potential reduction of heartburn, as well as snoring. Side sleepers know this is the ideal position to sleep in for proper spinal alignment, especially when using one of the best pillows for side sleepers. According to the Sleep Foundation, nearly 60% of people are side sleepers.
Luckily, we have found some of the best mattress deals for you, rounding up the five best mattresses for side sleepers. You’ll finally be able to rest easy.
Best Overall Mattress for Side Sleepers
Nectar Premier Memory Foam Mattress
The best memory foam (and overall!) mattress for side sleepers is the Nectar Memory Foam Mattress. Why do side sleepers have such sweet dreams on this mattress? It has over 41,000 five-star ratings, and is ranked number one by sleep experts. The 13-inch Nectar Premier Mattress has medium firmness, which is enough support to lull the body (and mind) to sleep while keeping spines aligned. Three layers of memory foam support the joints.
This overall best mattress for side sleepers has gel-infused memory foam to keep you cool while dreaming. It’s available in twin, twin XL, full, queen, king and California king sizes.
- Has three layers of gel-infused memory foam
- Provides medium firmness
- Available in a hybrid version
- Offers a 365-night home trial and lifetime warranty
- Edges aren’t as firm
Best Budget Mattress for Side Sleepers
Nolah Signature Memory Foam Mattress
Purchasing a new mattress can be expensive, especially when it comes to larger sizes. Good news: You can buy a cheap mattress without skimping on quality. The Nolah Signature Mattress is the best wallet-friendly pick, because it supports the shoulder and hips, relieving pressure on the spine and joints. Plus, it includes an organic mattress protector to make this quite a deal.
The Nolah is made of cooling AirFoam wrapped in organic cotton, so it’ll prevent overheating while sleeping. It ranks a four to five out of 10 on the firmness scale, so it’s not too firm and not too soft. It’s available in twin, twin XL, full, queen, king, split king and California king sizes.
- Costs a fraction of what other high-quality mattresses do
- Includes an organic mattress cover
- Available in a foam hybrid version
- Made in the USA
- Not ideal for someone who needs a lot of support
Best Firm Mattress for Side Sleepers
DreamCloud Hybrid Mattress
Prepare to feel like you’re on cloud nine with the DreamCloud Hybrid Mattress. This hybrid mattress is firm, thanks to its construction from innerspring coils and hybrid memory foam. It also has a breathable cashmere blend cover that hot sleepers will be thankful for. One of our editors slept on the DreamCloud for over a year, and gave it a rave review!
The seven layers of hybrid comfort include the cashmere blend cover, contouring soft foam, pressure-relieving memory foam, a dynamic transition layer, individually wrapped coils with reinforced edge support, a stability base layer and a shift-resistant cover with handles. If you upgrade to the DreamCloud Premier, you’ll get an extra layer made of comfort foam. Upgrade once more to the DreamCloud Premier Rest for that plus a plush pillow-top layer.
- Has seven layers, including pressure-relieving memory foam
- Includes a cooling cashmere blend cover
- Features individually wrapped coils with extra edge support
- Has a 365 in-home trial period and lifetime warranty
- Edges may be less firm than the rest of the mattress
Best Soft Mattress for Side Sleepers
Helix Sunset Hybrid Mattress
The best soft mattress for side sleepers is the Helix Sunset—an appropriate name, because once the sun sets, you’ll want to make this mattress your home. This hybrid mattress is constructed of plush memory foam, which relieves pressure, and individually wrapped coils.
This mattress has six layers, and on the mattress firmness scale of one to 10—one being the softest and 10 being the firmest—the Helix Sunset comes in at 3.5. It’s available in twin, twin XL, full, queen, king and California king sizes. Our editor reviewed the mattress and said it helped with her back pain.
- Soft, yet supportive
- Won’t break the bank
- Hybrid model for best of both worlds
- Made in the USA
- Shipping can take up to two months
- Doesn’t have a lifetime warranty
Best Organic Mattress for Side Sleepers
Saavta Classic Mattress
Say hello to the Saavta Classic Mattress, the best organic mattress for side sleepers. It’s not uncommon for mattresses (maybe even your current mattress!) to be made with a toxic chemical known as polyurethane foam. Made from petroleum chemicals, this foam can emit toxic gas. That’s why you might want to seriously consider buying an organic mattress, and the Savvta Classic is one of the best.
This mattress is made from top eco-friendly material, and made in the USA. Its mattress cover is produced from organic cotton treated with a botanical antimicrobial treatment. The eco-friendly mattress consists of responsive recycled steel coils that offers excellent spinal support. This best mattress for side sleepers is available in plush soft, luxury firm and firm options, and twin, twin XL, full, queen, king, California king, split king and California split king sizes.
- Organic and nontoxic
- Constructed from eco-friendly materials
- Available in three firmness options
- Offers a 365-night home trial and lifetime warranty
- Has a $99 return fee
What to consider when buying a mattress for side sleepers
The most important thing to consider when side sleeper mattress shopping is how much support and pressure relief your shoulders, hips and joints need. Typically, side sleepers gravitate toward a softer mattress, which is why memory foam mattresses are an ideal choice. Generally speaking, on the mattress firmness scale, side sleepers should look at the range from plush to medium.
Types of mattresses for side sleepers
Just like with any type of mattress, there are various types for side sleepers.
- Innerspring mattresses: As the most common type, innerspring mattresses are constructed with a steel coil support system and layers of cushioning material. They come in a variety of firmness levels and can be customized with different types of padding and cushioning materials. However, some people find that innerspring mattresses can be less supportive and durable than other types, and may develop lumps or lose their shape over time.
- Memory foam mattresses: Memory foam mattresses are made from a type of foam that is designed to conform to the shape of your body and provide support and comfort. The foam is temperature-sensitive, so it will soften and conform to your body when you lie down, and then return to its original shape when you get up. They can be more expensive than other types, but are especially good for people with pain or pressure points.
- Latex mattresses: Latex mattresses are made from natural or synthetic latex foam, which is a type of foam that is derived from rubber tree sap. They are known for their durability, comfort and support, and are hypoallergenic and resistant to dust mites, mold and mildew.
- Hybrid mattresses: Hybrid mattresses are a combination of two or more types of mattress materials, such as innerspring coils, memory foam and latex. They’re designed to provide the best of both worlds, combining the comfort and support of memory foam with the bounce and responsiveness of innerspring coils.
How we found the best mattresses for side sleepers
As shopping experts, our only job is to help you find a winning product. We start with the research and reporting basics—what products are made of, what they look like, and how much they cost—to ensure that we’re only recommending the buys that are worth your time and money. Then, we research the features that speak to the product’s quality, taking advice from industry insiders and subject matter experts on what makes a product a smart value (or worthy of a splurge). Finally, we do the work of combing through user reviews to see how real people interact with the product, and if it stands up to the test.
What type of mattress is best for side sleepers?
When mattress shopping, shoppers should seek a hybrid or memory foam mattress. This aligns the spin and minimizes pressure on shoulders, joints and hips.
Is a soft or firm mattress better for side sleepers?
It’s truly up to your preference. However, plush to medium firm mattresses are best for side sleepers.
Are hybrid mattresses good for side sleepers?
Hybrid mattresses are the best of both worlds, offering the support of memory foam with the bounce of an innerspring coil mattress. So, in short, yes, it’s a good choice for side sleepers.
Stop hunting for the best products and deals—get our expert scoop on secret sales and discounts, gift ideas for everyone, and can’t-miss products. Sign up for the Stuff We Love newsletter.