The 10 Best Mops for Cleaning Every Type of Floor, According to Experts
Mop smarter, not harder! The right mop will get your floors cleaner in fewer swipes.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
As a Home Editor who covers cleaning products, I know that whether you’re a mop traditionalist or a fan of vacuum mop combos, it’s important to have the best mop for your floor type. While some spaces may benefit from the best robot mops, larger rooms and open floor plans are more likely to need more robust mop models with additional functionality.
“Wood, engineered hardwood, and laminate floors all have seams in them, so the amount of water they can handle is limited,” explains professional cleaner and mopping expert Pam Clyde of BritLin Cleaning. That’s why you’ll need to choose the right type of mop for your floor, or look for a mop designed to handle a variety of types of flooring.
The best mop for your home also depends on how much dirt and grime you’re hoping to remove. “If the floor is excessively dirty, you’ll need to scrub a little harder and change out the mop pad more often,” Clyde says. “Microfiber pads will pick up the dirt beautifully.”
What to look for when buying the best mop
“The best mop to use on all floors is a flat mop,” says Clyde. “The technique used, however, will vary based on the type of floors you’re cleaning.” Here’s what she suggests looking for in a mop to makes floors shine.
- A flat mop head. There seem to be a near-endless supply of mop head shapes, but the best ones offer a flat or nearly-flat surface. Steer clear of anything ball or dome-shaped. Those old-fashioned twisted rope mops are no longer the gold standard.
- An ergonomic handle. Comfort is key. Choose a plastic or metal-finish handle over wood and bamboo. Mops are constantly coming into contact with water, and you don’t need the handle splintering, rotting, or growing mold.
- A reasonable price. There’s no reason to pay an arm or a leg for the best mop (you’re going to need those arms for mopping, anyway). Several of the best mop models on the market are incredibly affordable and built to last.
- Consider your floor type. If you need added disinfection or heat-powered cleaning, you’re going to want a steam-cleaning mop. These can be especially useful on tile and synthetic surfaces. Wood floors are sensitive to added moisture, so consider a microfiber surface or a robot-style vacuum mop that carefully controls liquids.
To choose the best mop for every floor type, we looked at customer ratings, value, various functions, construction, and material. We also looked at expert recommendations and took ease of use into consideration. After all, your new favorite mop should be as trusted and reliable as the most dependable vacuum cleaners that last for years.
Best overall mop
O-Cedar ProMist Max Spray Mop
This Amazon bestseller tops our list because of its ease of use, versatility, affordable price point, and thousands of glowing customer reviews calling it a “game-changer” and “the only mop that doesn’t feel like a chore.” The O-Cedar ProMist Max Spray Mop has a super-absorbent microfiber mop head that cleans effectively with water alone, although many reviewers say they love using it with their favorite cleaning products. If you do use it with additional cleaning agents, the brand suggests adding only two teaspoons of cleaning solution to the entire water bottle—making this mop a thrifty and eco-friendly choice.
The microfiber mop pads work hard at cleaning both wet and dry floors. The innovative one-touch release button allows you to remove the included spray bottle in a jiffy. The handle grip is also one of the best on the market, ensuring easy maneuverability with limited risk of slipping or uncomfortable mopping angles when you’re working on getting into every kitchen floor nook and cranny.
- No batteries required
- Microfiber pads can be machined washed up to 100 times
- Cleans with just water or with additional cleaning fluid
- Affordable price point
- Reattaching the microfiber pads can be tricky
Best mop and bucket set
O-Cedar Spin Mop with Bucket
For a mop-and-bucket combo, the O-Cedar Spin Mop and bucket set is the clear winner. With well over 100,000 Amazon reviews and a nearly-perfect 4.5 star rating, reviewers say it’s “worth every penny.” It’s a wonder for those with bad backs because it eliminates the need to bend down every time you wring your mop out. The bucket comes with a built-in wringing pedal that needs only a quick tap or two with your foot to spin excess water out. Here’s our full review of the O-Cedar Spin Mop.
The plastic handle on this mop is also a winner, and the included microfiber mop heads are designed to easily slide below baseboards, into corners, and into all sorts of other complicated areas. The best part? The microfiber heads are machine-washable, which means you’ll use them for months at a time on all sorts of flooring before they need to be replaced. You can buy the mop-and-bucket at big box stores, but the best deal is from Amazon with four included mop head refills.
- Easy foot pedal wringing
- Machine-washable microfiber pads
- Spinning mop head is easy to maneuver into corners
- The bucket and mop are a little clunky to store
- The bucket has only one chamber, which means no dedicated clean and dirty water compartments
Best spray mop
Mexerris Microfiber Spray Mop
The Mexerris spray mop is one of the best mops for ceramic tile, marble, and other hard-surface floors that require delicate cleaning that also dissolves grime and sticky messes. The microfiber mop pads can be used for dust mopping in a pinch, and the 360-degree spin function helps reach tight and awkward spots. You can fill the generously sized bottle with warm water or the cleaning solution of your choice to remove stinky pet urine. Reviewers note that adding a small amount of Angry Orange Pet Odor Eliminator with water to the refillable container is an “almost magic” solution for stuck-on and crusty spills when paired with the scrubber attachment (included).
This mop is also one of the best-reviewed cleaning products on Amazon with an impressive 6,900 ratings and a nearly-perfect 4.5-stars average.
- Affordable price point
- 410 ml refillable bottle
- Easy spray function
- Adjustable plastic handle
- Microfiber pads are generously sized, but not as absorbent as other brands, making it better for smaller spaces or one room at a time
- Replacement parts are hard to find (though most reviewers note that their mops work perfectly for a long time)
Best dust mop
Great Value Microfiber Flip Dust Mop
We chose this easy-to-use dust mop for its extremely affordable price point and the just-like-the-bigger-name-brands’ construction. The Great Value microfiber flip dust mop is definitely one of the product exclusives you should be buying at Walmart. We like the cushioned grip handle that adds comfort, and the way the microfiber mop head fingers are ideal for dry dusting floors or regular wet mopping in a pinch. It’s ideal for delicate hardwood floors and tile surfaces because it picks up both fine particles and larger debris. It’s machine-washable so you can use (and re-use) it for months. It also makes cleaning hard-to-reach fan blades a cinch. Reviewers suggest replacing the mop head every six to 12 months, depending on how often you use it.
- Affordable Walmart find under $20
- Can be used with cleaning fluid for wet mopping
- Ergonomic handle with grips
- Machine-washable microfiber mop head
- Stores flat and fits in narrow spaces
- Best suited for dry dust mopping; you’ll need another mop for wet mopping
Best high-tech mop
Lunaglow Nano 3 in 1 Wet & Dry Vacuum
Technically the Lunaglow Nano 3 in 1 describes itself as a vacuum, but it’s really the best kind of vacuum-mop combo unit, and it makes cleaning your floors easier than ever. It’s ideal for living spaces that don’t have enough storage space for multiple devices and for people who can’t be bothered to add an extra step to their cleaning routines.
The cordless model dusts, mops, vacuums, and gently scrubs to cut cleaning time in half. It leaves a squeaky-clean finish on high-traffic areas like front hallways and kitchens. The powerful suction sucks up dirt while the self-propelled brush rolls away debris in a single pass. It also has two separate tanks—one for dirty water and one for clean—for hygienic mopping.
- Separate water tanks for hygienic mopping
- Ergonomic handle
- Cordless model runs for 25 minutes on a single charge
- Vacuums both wet and dry messes
- More expensive than average mop models
- Requires charging before use
Best steam mop
Black+Decker Classic Steam Mop
While there are lots of excellent steam mops, the Black+Decker Classic Steam-Mop model won us over with its extremely affordable price point and ease of use. It quickly eliminates caked-on messes and dirt with the cleaning power of hot steam and is easily maneuvered around tight spaces, furniture, cabinets, and more.
Reviewers are enthusiastic about this model’s hot steam killing up to 99 percent of germs using just water and the included microfiber pad. The system is an animal, child, and people-safe alternative to harsh cleaning chemicals. It’s also ready to use in just 30 seconds, an impressive feat that even some of the more expensive models can’t manage. If you want a vacuum-mop combo, we reviewed the Tineco iFloor 3.
- Heat steams to eliminate up to 99 percent of germs without added chemicals
- Ready to use in 30 seconds
- Easy maneuvering
- Under $50 price point
- Refilling the water tank requires lifting the entire mop instead of just a removable tank
Best robot mop
Roborock S6 Pure Robot Vacuum and Mop
The future called: it’s delivering the coolest robot vacuum mop on the planet ahead of its time. Seriously, this thing is so cool that we’re naming it the best robot mop and one of the best robot vacuums. It offers Wi-Fi connection, Alexa voice control, selective room cleaning (to stay off your carpeted areas, for example), no-go zones, and so much more.
The Roborock S6 is definitely the mop for people who simply don’t have time to mop. You can easily control it from your phone just about anywhere in the world with the accompanying Roborock app. While it’s more expensive than other mop models on the market, it’s certainly worth it for busy households. The long-range 180 milliliter adjustable water tank serves up to 1,610-square feet at a time and can be customized for different floor types.
- Can be powered and used remotely
- Requires less than a minute to prepare
- Medium-size water tank allows for about 1,600-square feet of cleaning at a time
- Thousands of positive Amazon reviews
- Comes in two neutral colors
- High price point (although worth the investment if you want to go the robot route)
- Water tank size works nicely for large rooms or single floors, but not necessarily entire homes
Best scrubbing mop
Libman Nitty Gritty Roller Mop
Libman has been a trusted name in cleaning products since the 1800s, and this relatively new Nitty Gritty Roller Mop fits right in with the brand’s heritage and reputation for exceptionally easy-to-use items. The sponge-based mop offers a generous amount of surface area for cleaning spills and hard surfaces such as tile, and can be flipped to expose harder bristles that fight grout gunk and caked-on messes.
This affordable model works wonders on dirty garage and basement floors, ceramic tiles in the bathroom, and other not-so-delicate areas. We’d avoid using the scrubbing side on delicate surfaces such as marble or wood, though.
- Affordable at under $15
- Can be used for regular mopping or aggressive scrubbing
- Really gets into grout
- Non-flat-head design makes it tricky to get into corners and under baseboards
- Mop head isn’t machine-washable
Best mop for bathroom floors
Bissell PowerFresh Deluxe Steam Mop
The Bissell PowerFresh Deluxe is a hard-working steam mop that features a flip-down scrubber to really get into dirt and stuck-on stains. It cleans and sanitizes sealed hard floors of all kinds without the use of harsh chemicals (though you can add your own cleaning products if you want), and eliminates over 99 percent of germs and bacteria through natural hot steam—making it perfect for bathroom floors, as noted by many of the over 37,000 Amazon reviews of this product.
It’s ready to use in as little as 30 seconds and features easy swivel steering and a 23-foot power cord that lets you zip through the house with ease. It works hard on germy tiled surfaces, and the scrub side allows you to get even old toothpaste, urine, and other gross substances off your floors. Although bonus fragrance discs are included in each package, reviewers note that you can drop your favorite essential oils in the water tank to achieve the same effect.
- Quick heating
- Easy to use
- Flip-down scrubbing
- Reusable, machine-washable mop head
- Additional fragrance discs included in each package
- Not well-suited for small corners or beneath baseboards
Best mop for hardwood floors
Bona Spray Mop for Hardwood Floors
If you’ve got hardwood floors, investing in a Bona Spray Mop is definitely your best bet. It’s an affordable push mop that doesn’t require a bucket thanks to a durable and lightweight refillable cleaning cartridge that sprays just the right amount of Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner where it’s needed. It gently removes dirt and build-up without over-saturating delicate hardwood floors. The extra-large mop head cleans more quickly than other similar models.
This mop is safe for all un-waxed, un-oiled wood floors that have a polyurethane finish. It comes pre-filled with cleaner and also includes a refill cartridge that clicks easily into place, but the best part is the reusable microfiber cleaning pad. It is so durable that the brand guarantees you can machine wash and reuse it up to 500 times. Psst—Check out the best vacuums for hardwood floors, too.
- Ergonomic handle with easy grips
- Comes pre-loaded with wood-safe cleaning fluid as well as a refill cartridge
- Cleaning pad can be reused up to 500 times
- You’ll need to keep buying the cleaner cartridges, although they’re relatively inexpensive
- Pam Clyde, president BritLin Cleaning