7 Best Outdoor Rugs for a Trendy Backyard
These are the best outdoor rugs to turn any drab patio into a beautiful backyard oasis.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
RD.COM, VIA MERCHANT (2)
Having your feet in the grass or sand is one of the best parts about spring and summer. But when the party moves to the patio or deck, having a terrific rug can really set the vibe. Instantly upgrade your patio decor by adding one of these best outdoor rugs to your backyard oasis. Decorating an outdoor space isn’t as daunting as interior design, but elevating outdoor rugs, especially during furniture sales, is an easy first step.
When choosing the best outdoor rugs, find one that adds charm and comfort to your outdoor getaway. It’s also best to have a durable one that withstands harsh weather conditions. Mixing textures, colors and patterns of the rug, furniture and outdoor pillows offers conversation-worthy visual appeal. Layer bold pieces like patio hammocks or browse the best outdoor furniture brands to create the perfect resort-like backyard. Here are our top picks for the best outdoor rugs.
The best outdoor rugs
- Best overall: Ruggable Outdoor Arcadia Rug
- Best budget: Nuloom Made in Turkey Outdoor Boho Rug
- Best splurge: Bolé Road Stride & Step Outdoor Rug
- Most eco-friendly: Milada Eco-Friendly Outdoor Rug
- Best for camping: Sand Mine Reversible Woven Mat
- Best from Amazon: iCustomRug Outdoor Rug Mat
- Best runner: Andover Mills Salley runner
Best overall outdoor rug
Ruggable Outdoor Arcadia Rug
Fans of machine-washable rugs love the Ruggable outdoor Arcadia rug. Our Reader’s Digest Ruggable review left us pleasantly surprised with the the brand’s durability. Just like Ruggable indoor offerings, the outdoor rugs are meant to be thrown in the wash, meaning you’ll get endless use out of them. The outdoor version features a polyester weave that’s fade- and mold-resistant. For added cushioning and safety, it lays neatly atop an anchoring rug pad. This rug adds style to every space, from the tiniest backyards to the most expansive decks fit for watching the best backyard movies.
- Versatile indoor and outdoor rug
- Ideal for high-traffic areas
- Machine washable
- Easily detaches from the rug pad
- Made of ultra-strong polyester
- Fade- and mold-resistant
- Available in three floral colors and seven sizes
- Ruggable rugs run a bit more expensive than traditional indoor and outdoor offerings
Best budget outdoor rug
Outdoor Boho Rug
This budget-friendly buy is one of the best outdoor rugs for spaces in need of some flair. The Nuloom boho rug, imported from Turkey, features an intricate woven design. It’s made of a natural-feeling, synthetic polypropylene blend that cleans well if you need to tackle a stain. The soft beige hues also coordinate well with nature-inspired patio decor. It’s an easy choice for minimalist decorators.
- Affordable price point
- Available in a 4-foot by 6-foot size
- Synthetic polypropylene fiber blend is easy to spot clean
- Nature-inspired motif fits several outdoor aesthetics
- Versatile indoor and outdoor use
- Ideal for semi-enclosed areas like covered porches
- Made in Turkey
- Only one color available
- Limited size offerings
Best splurge outdoor rug
Bolé Road Stripe & Step Indoor/Outdoor Rug
Who says luxury decor has to be earth tones? This vibrant Bolé Road Strip & Step outdoor rug adds color, life and fun to mirror an expensive looking home. It’s woven with mesmerizing shades of blue, green, red and pink. With four sizes to choose from, it’s a statement piece on a patio, sunroom or deck. The design was handwoven by artisans in Ethiopia, and the craftsmanship just adds to its durability. The rug is also shed-resistant and easy to clean with a vacuum cleaner. You’ll use this beauty for years to come.
- Handwoven design adds a look of luxury
- Bold color and pattern are fun for outdoors
- Modern take on outdoor decor
- Four size options available
- Made from 100% recycled polyester material
- Easy to clean with a vacuum
- This outdoor rug is a splurge, but it’s a true statement piece
- There’s no backing and rug pads are sold separately
Best eco-friendly outdoor rug
Pottery Barn Eco-Friendly Outdoor Rug
This vibrant Milada eco-friendly outdoor rug from Pottery Barn is made of recycled plastic bottles and looks just as good on the patio as it does in the living room. The recycled plastic (sourced from 1,560 bottles to be exact) makes it durable and weather-resistant, while the mix of neutral hues offers eye-catching appeal. It’s advised to keep this rug away from excessive moisture, so styling it in a sunroom or awning-covered area is best. These rugs also make some of the best eco-friendly gifts for new homeowners.
- Eco-friendly construction sourced from 1,560 plastic bottles
- Provides a neutral touch to any area
- Pile is less than an inch thick, making it easy to move around
- Stands up to weather and elements, thanks to plastic-based construction
- Available in six sizes
- Shouldn’t be exposed to excessive moisture, such as a pool area or rainy climates
Best outdoor rug for camping
Reversible Woven Mat
This Sand Mine reversible woven mat is ideal for outdoor adventures to the beach or camping. It’s a lightweight, woven-looking piece that mimics the look of straw. The mat, made with weather-resistant plastic fibers, rolls up into a compact bundle for easy traveling. It’s ideal for all types of RVs or as a gift for campers, and it comes in four sizes. As an Amazon best seller with more than 6,000 ratings, this outdoor rug pleases shoppers who love its versatility and portability.
“I absolutely LOVE this outdoor rug!” shares one verified Amazon purchaser, K.R.B., “The size was perfect for my outdoor patio. It covered the majority of the space I needed. The texture is also durable for outdoor elements. The rug really made my outdoor patio furniture and decor pop.”
- Rolls up into the included carrying case for easy travel
- Can be shaken, wiped or hosed down to clean
- Reversible design
- Available in multiple neutral shades and four sizes
- UV-coated to protect against fading
- Affordable price point
- The lightweight construction means it needs to be anchored down so it doesn’t blow away
Best outdoor rug from Amazon
iCustomRug Outdoor Rug
The iCustomRug outdoor rug is one of the best Amazon patio decor finds, thanks to its durable polypropylene and UV-resistant construction. It comes in 10 bold colors that add excitement to ordinary outdoor spaces. If you don’t mind a hose down, the straw-like plastic fibers are easily rinsable. Shoppers love this rug because the colors stay vibrant all summer long, the plastic material is comfortable on bare feet and it cleans more easily than some outdoor rugs. Just add it to your cart when buying patio furniture and you’re good to go.
“These rugs are so happy looking,” shares verified Amazon purchaser, Jane. “They are so very easy to keep clean and to move around. Love them!”
- Easy ordering through Amazon
- UV-resistant fabric means it doesn’t fade in the sun
- Reversible design
- Comes in 10 vibrant color options
- Available in four sizes
- Made with 100% polypropylene material
- Rolls up easily for compact storage
- Affordable price point
- Very low pile, so it won’t add much cushioning or support for those who like extra padding
Best outdoor runner rug
Salley Runner Rug
You don’t need to have a huge backyard area to decorate to your liking. If you’re working with a narrow outdoor space, consider this eye-catching Andover Mills Salley runner. Its versatile shape features a flatweave technique and polyester material that’s stain-resistant and easy to clean. The low, quarter-inch pile also makes it a trip-free addition to small outdoor living spaces.
“Perfect for my little deck!” writes Patricia, a verified Wayfair buyer. “Lays nicely, it’s very easy to sweep or shake off and it adds a little color and lots of style!”
- Runner shape fits corridors and narrow spaces
- Reversible design
- Polyester material stands up to weather and stains
- Low pile to avoid trips
- Multiple colors and sizes available
- Affordable price point
- If you’re looking for a plush feel, you’ll need to buy an additional rug pad
What to look for when buying the best outdoor rugs
“Outdoor rugs are designed to be more durable to stand up to elements like rain and dirt,” explains home design expert Breegan Jane, who has worked with Marshalls and TJ Maxx on outdoor design trends. “They’re made of thicker materials and hold up better outside than a traditional indoor rug would.” Jane also recommends looking an outdoor rug made of polyester or polypropylene. “You want to make sure it’s going to last, and these materials are strong enough to hold up well against weather, molding or staining,” she says.
How we found the best outdoor rugs
As shopping experts, our only job is to help you find a winning product. We start with the research and reporting basics—what products are made of, what they look like and how much they cost—to ensure that we’re only recommending the buys that are worth your time and money. Then, we research the features that speak to the product’s quality, taking advice from industry insiders and subject matter experts on what makes a product a smart value (or worthy of a splurge). Finally, we do the work of combing through user reviews to see how real people interact with the product, and if it stands up to the test.
What type of outdoor rug is the most durable?
The most durable outdoor rugs feature weather-resistant materials such as plastic and polypropylene. Without sacrificing comfort, the latter material is offered in all sorts of fun, modern weaves that don’t necessarily look or feel like plastic. Plus, eco-enthusiasts love that these materials are often made of recycled matter.
Can outdoor rugs be left in the rain?
Outdoor rugs can be left in the rain if they’re made of weather-resistant materials. Just make sure that whatever rug pad you use is also weather-resistant. Even then, it may be best to store outdoor rugs in an organized garage area during severe weather conditions.
Can you leave outdoor rugs outside?
For the most part, yes, you can leave outdoor rugs outside. Make time to clean them regularly because they can fall victim to build up of dirt and debris. Experts suggest rolling outdoor rugs and putting them in home storage during the winter. Snow, ice and winter weather may lead to quick deterioration of the rug.
Can outdoor rugs get moldy?
Most plastic and synthetic material based outdoor rugs can withstand weather and mold. However, it’s still a good idea to regularly clean outdoor rugs along with other lawn and patio furniture. Check the fabric tag on your outdoor rug for proper care instructions. Some rugs require heavy-duty cleaning with a hose, others need to be spot-cleaned, shaken off or vacuumed.
With additional reporting by Bryce Gruber.
- Breegan Jane, home design expert, interior designer and patio stager
Stop hunting for the best products and deals—get our expert scoop on secret sales and discounts, gift ideas for everyone, and can’t-miss products. Sign up for the Stuff We Love newsletter.