The 8 Best Bathing Suits for Every Body Type
Bathing suit shopping doesn’t have to be stressful. Here’s how to find the best swimsuits for every shape, size and style preference.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
RD.COM, VIA MERCHANT (3)
It’s that time of year again—bathing suit season! If that sentence elicited a slight panic from you, you’re not alone. While we’re all more than ready for gorgeous weather and summer fun—and even excited to stock up on summer essentials like the best summer hats, sunglasses and sunscreen—bathing suit shopping itself can be stressful and, well, not so fun.
We strongly believe that every body is bathing-suit ready, but we also strongly believe that you deserve to find a swimsuit that incites confidence. So, how does one find the best swimsuits? By focusing on your best assets and dressing for your body shape.
“Start by identifying the areas you want to enhance or attract attention to, and then the areas you want to minimize or distract the eye from,” advises Laurie Brucker Amerikaner, a professional stylist and author. From there, choose wisely—and know a few tricks. “Wearing solid colors, slim lines and minimal detailing works great for concealing, slimming and covering. Wearing bold patterns, bright colors and fresh design details work for accentuating, balancing and attention grabbing.”
There are also a few tried-and-true rules to flatter specific body types and honor current trends. Read on to find the perfect swimsuit match for your body type and personal style.
The best swimsuits
- Best overall: Tempt Me High-Neck Mesh Monokini
- Best value: Charmo Ruffle One Piece
- Best for tummy control: Cupshe Color Block Wrap One-Piece
- Best maternity swimsuit: Kindred Bravely Nursing & Maternity One-Piece Wrap Swimsuit
- Best for small chests: Andie Tropez Bikini Top
- Best plus-size swimsuit: Miraclesuit Plus Solid Palma One-Piece Swimsuit
- Best for large busts: CUUP The Plunge Bikini Top
- Most modest: One-Piece Swim Dress
Best overall bathing suit
Tempt Me High-Neck Mesh Monokini
In general, the best swimsuits for women offer a blend of fashion-forward styling, body-complimenting design and colors that make you feel happy. This Tempt Me High-Neck Mesh Monokini is a one-piece with figure-friendly ruching, a peekaboo mesh panel just below the high neckline and a waist-gathering knot that accentuates the narrowest part of the abdomen while smoothing the rest.
It’s easy to see why it’s an Amazon bestseller with more than 24,000 five-star ratings. Ashley, a five-star reviewer, describes how happy she is with her purchase: “It’s always hit or miss buying suits online because I’m so tall and have a long torso, but this suit is perfect. It’s flattering and covers your booty. The cups in the chest are super supportive and not the kind that slide out/around. Highly recommend this suit!!”
- Waist-gathering knot compliments all body types
- Ruched material highlights curves
- High-neck plunge design accentuates the chest in a discreet way
- Available in several sizes and colors
- 32,000 Amazon ratings and a 4.6-star average
- Though it’s described as fitting true to size, some reviewers found their normal size fit a bit snugly and they’ve returned it to size up
- Some reviewers with long torsos mention it doesn’t fit them as well
Best value bathing suit
Charmo Ruffle One-Piece
A figure-enhancing swimsuit for less than $20? Yes, please! This pretty one-piece looks a lot more expensive than it is, thanks to its shirred front effect that flatters curves and a V-neck design with ruffles for added flair. It also features removable pads and a low-back design.
Frankly, a suit of this quality at such a low price is just the kind of secret we should probably keep to ourselves, but you seem trustworthy and deserving of a knockout swim look. File this one under products that are way cheaper at Walmart than Amazon. Speaking of, you might also like these Amazon swimsuits that are all under $40.
- Affordable price point
- Ruffles and V-neck design flatter the chest and back
- Adjustable straps
- Removable pads
- Available in four sizes and 14 colors
- Low back design may not be comfortable for every wearer
- Only available in sizes S through XL
Best bathing suit for tummy control
Cupshe Color Block Wrap One-Piece
The key to tummy control in your swimwear is color blocking. “This helps create the flattering frame lines while still being stylish,” says Amerikaner. “Look for color blocking that has a mid to dark lower portion that blocks out the waistline area, while using bolder colors at the bottom and top.” Beyond that, Amerikaner suggests using the art of distraction by choosing swimwear with a unique neckline, like a one-shoulder or cross-front halter. “It draws the eyes up and away,” she explains. That’s a tried-and-true personal stylist tip you’ll wish you knew sooner.
This Cupshe wrap-style one-piece is a highly-rated Amazon pick that offers color blocking, a side tie to accentuate the waist and a V-shaped neckline. It comes in 15 color block designs and patterns, in case you fall in love with this style but want to mix your tummy control swimsuit up a bit.
Verified Amazon reviewer Lori Fornaro adds, “I have a bigger midsection and I prefer a suit that can hold you in there. This one not only did that, but the design was flattering. It’s held up well with several uses and hasn’t lost any elasticity.” Here’s another Cupshe swimsuit favorite Amazon users love.
- Color block design and side tie offer a slimming effect
- Plunge neckline adds dimension
- Removable padded cups
- Available in 15 colorblock options
- Comes in sizes XS to 2XL
- 10,000 Amazon ratings and a 4-star average
- Doesn’t offer the most coverage with the plunge neckline and cheeky bottoms
- Cupshe swimsuits often run small, so pay extra close attention to sizing and measurements when ordering
Best maternity swimsuit
Kindred Bravely Nursing & Maternity One-Piece Wrap Swimsuit
Comfort is key if you’re sporting a baby bump on the beach, and once you’ve had your little one, easy access for nursing becomes another major priority. But the best maternity swimsuits and those early postpartum days aren’t just functional—they’re cute and flattering, too. This Kindred Bravely one-piece suit comes in four patterns to help you join in this season’s biggest color trends, as well as keep the same suit from bump to after-birth. It also offers UPF 50 protection, is made of recycled polyester and is fully lined.
Look for a tie, belt or wrap-style design that accentuates the waist’s smallest point. Avoid appearing matronly by choosing a trendy color or print, suggests style expert Sadie Cherney, who owns Clothes Mentor, an eco-friendly boutique. “Pastels are everywhere in fashion right now, but they’re especially present in swimwear,” she says. “There’s also been an emphasis on buttery-soft fabrics in swim, which is so cozy! But the combination of soft fabric and pastel tones can be very revealing, so if that’s not the look you’re going for, ribbed fabrics can provide more coverage, even in these beautiful light hues.”
- Flattering ruffle straps and ruching around the belly
- Nursing-friendly crossover straps with side tie
- Fully lined
- Adjustable straps and removable padding
- Shelf bra support
- UPF 50 protection
- Four colors and lots of sizes available
- Keep in mind that this suit is ideal for pregnant or postpartum bodies
Best bathing suit for small chests
Andie Tropez Top
Using bold, busy patterns to make a small bust appear bigger or more balanced is one of the oldest yet surefire ideas in the stylist playbook. While you can go with whatever pattern you’re drawn to, bold prints are still very much in style. The plunge shape of this Andie Tropez bikini top adds volume and lift, making it one of the best swimsuits for small busts. It’s perfect for any chest size, but we especially like this top’s lower-cut style for accentuating smaller chests.
Florals, animal and patterned prints can be used anywhere you might want to confuse or trick the eye. Don’t be shy of animal prints, Cherney adds. “We’ve loved leopard for a few years now, and it’s refreshing to see it in larger repeats or more abstract colorways, and also to see some new animal prints gaining traction—especially zebra and tiger stripes.”
- Underband adds support and volume to smaller chest sizes
- Comes in seven fashion-forward prints
- Back closure adds more support than a tie
- Made from Italian-made fabric with compressive mesh lining
- Available in size XS to XL
- Matching bottoms sold separately
Best plus-size swimsuit
Miraclesuit Plus Solid Palma One-Piece Swimsuit
The most important bit of bathing-suit advice for plus-size women? Always opt for supportive shapes and fabrics, says professional wardrobe stylist Megan Averbuch, who blogs at Belles & Rebelles. This Miraclesuit one-piece offers a plunge neck and mesh cutouts that add dimension to an otherwise solid black swimsuit. The crisscross pattern defines curves, while the solid black bottoms slim the waist. Don’t forget to bookmark this list of the best plus-size swimwear for your best summer look yet.
“Of course, confidence is everything, no matter what you wear, but you can feel your best by investing in pieces that offer support, such as underwire,” she explains. Beyond that, there are some tricks that will help flaunt your curves in the smartest ways possible. For example, Averbuch suggests looking for swimwear with ruching and high-waisted bikini bottoms. “No matter your figure,” she adds, “I always like to add shapes, such as flowing sarongs or caftan-style beach jackets, to make it more of a full look.” By the way, if you like this, you might appreciate our Miraclesuit swimwear review, too.
- Classic swimsuit with mesh cutouts that add dimension
- Scoop back
- Attached soft-cup bra that fully supports the bust
- Offers tummy control and full coverage bottoms
- Elongates legs and torso
- Available in sizes from 16W-24W
- Limited color options available, but black and navy blue are timeless and flattering
Best bathing suit for large busts
CUUP The Plunge Bikini Top
The experts we spoke with agree that large busts are best served with extra support and subtle design details that offer balance and shape. This CUUP plunge bikini top supports all bust sizes, especially rounder busts. We love the sexy yet supportive design that accentuates large chests without covering them up. A lightweight underwire is also featured, though it’s designed to move with the body without poking or digging into skin.
It comes in seven beautiful colors and can be worn with matching, sold-separately bottoms, or black bottoms. This is one of the best swimsuits for large busts because it offers an inclusive size range and flatters every curve.
- Thick adjustable band and lightweight underwire offer comfortable support
- Plunge neckline is sexy yet supportive
- Made with sustainable fabrics
- Fade-resistant materials with UPF 50 protection
- Available in seven colors and seven cup sizes
- Bottoms not included
- At $98, this bikini top is on the pricey side
Most modest bathing suit
One Piece Swim Dress
This swim dress is a versatile choice for those interested in baring less but still looking younger. It offers a swim-friendly, tennis-outfit approach that makes it one of the best swimsuits for women who want extra sun protection and comfort. The neckline sits high on your neck while the A-line skirt sits just above midthigh. A ruched midsection also offers some flattering tummy control, and a built in bra helps add a confidence boost.
- Flattering, full-coverage style
- No uncomfortable underwire or padding
- Doubles as a hot-weather outfit, not just swimwear
- Pairs with most bathing suit cover ups
- Available in sizes S to 3XL
- Comes in 25 fun patterns and colors
- 2,500 Amazon ratings and a 4.3-star average
- Hand wash only
What to look for when buying the best swimsuits
As warm weather rolls around, remember that every body is summer ready, regardless of the number on a scale. And when swimsuit shopping there are a few main factors to consider. The best swimsuits should be comfortable, sitting on your natural body shape without pinching or spillage. Support in the chest and bottom is helpful, especially when you’re bending over or moving around. Try not to be intimidated by sizing—buy what fits!
Lastly, invest in what you like. Flattering details, colorful prints and an affordable price point (like you’ll find with these swimsuit sales) will help seal the deal to make you feel confident and beautiful at the beach or pool.
How we found the best swimsuits
As shopping experts, our only job is to help you find a winning product. We start with the research and reporting basics—what products are made of, what they look like and how much they cost—to ensure that we’re only recommending the buys that are worth your time and money. Then, we research the features that speak to the product’s quality, taking advice from industry insiders and subject matter experts on what makes a product a smart value (or worthy of a splurge). Finally, we do the work of combing through user reviews to see how real people interact with the product, and if it stands up to the test.
Are expensive bathing suits worth it?
While there’s nothing wrong with buying a swimsuit from Amazon or another affordable site, more expensive bathing suits tend to be better quality. A pricier style may last longer, but at the end of the day, it’s important to invest in what you can afford. And don’t forget your investment by keeping swimsuits out of the dryer!
What makes a swimsuit good quality?
As is the case with most fashion garments, fabric and stitching are a telling sign of a piece’s quality. Elastane is one of the best swimsuit fabrics because it provides UV protection and chlorine resistance. A suit’s ability to retain elasticity and the strength of its stitches are indicators of good quality.
Is it better for a swimsuit to be tight or loose?
A swimsuit that’s too loose could result in an embarrassing wardrobe malfunction! Opt for a suit that has just the right amount of snugness and support. The best swimsuits will lay flat on your body without gapes or pinching skin.
- Laurie Brucker Amerikaner, professional stylist and author
- Sadie Cherney, style expert and owner of Clothes Mentor
- Megan Averbuch, professional wardrobe stylist and blogger at Belles & Rebelles
Additional reporting by Bryce Gruber.
Stop hunting for the best products and deals—get our expert scoop on secret sales and discounts, gift ideas for everyone and can’t-miss products. Sign up for the Stuff We Love newsletter.