11 of the Best Warm Blankets to Wrap Up In This Year
We found the coziest warm blanket options for every room, style and budget. Watch out, winter!
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
RD.COM, VIA MERCHANT (4)
Cuddling up to a warm blanket is one of the best cold weather activities. Having a variety of cozy options ranging from weighted blankets and bed quilts to plush throw blankets keeps you snuggling through every season. Whether you prefer all-natural cotton, technologically-advanced electric blankets or over-the-top luxurious comforters, we found the best options for hibernation weather.
What to look for in the best blanket
Assessing where you plan to use a warm blanket is the most important consideration. A warm blanket that’s designed for bedroom use won’t be the best option for kicking back on the sofa. The inverse is also true.
It’s also important to consider how easy a blanket is to care for. If you’re not prepared to dry clean or spot clean your bedding, materials like machine-washable cotton and poly-blends are the best bets.
The best weighted blankets and down comforters come in a variety of maintenance levels. Easier-to-care-for options offer fitted duvet covers, while some more affordable options rely on spot cleaning.
How we chose the best warm blankets
We looked at the materials used, size options and ease of laundering as our primary determinants of the best blankets. Overall value and price were also considered, as well as real customer ratings.
Bonus points were given to warm blanket options available in a variety of colors and designs. Based on our careful review, these are the best warm blankets for every type of lifestyle.
- Best overall warm blanket: Great Bay Reversible Sherpa Blanket
- Best organic blanket: Saatva Organic Cotton Channel Quilt
- Best heated blanket: Bedsure Heated Electric Blanket
- Best budget blanket: Member’s Mark Waffle-Knit Blanket
- Best luxury blanket: West Elm Silky Tencel Plush Comforter
- Best cotton blanket: Threadmill Cotton Herringbone Blanket
- Best down comforter: Brooklinen Down Comforter
- Best down alternative comforter: Bedsure Down Alternative Duvet Insert
- Best throw blanket: Quince Ribbed Cashmere Throw
- Best blanket for movie night: Big Blanket Co Original Stretch Blanket
- Best weighted blanket: Luna Weighted Blanket
Best overall blanket
Great Bay Reversible Sherpa Blanket
The Great Bay reversible sherpa blanket hits all the right cozy notes. It’s an affordable option that comes in a variety of sizes ranging from a sofa throw to king-size bedding. The warm blanket’s 31 color options will make choosing a chore, but each comes with a downy white fuzzy underside that’s perfect for cuddling up in. Throw it over some flannel sheets and you’re ready for the coziest night of your life.
“I’ve had this on my bed for several months, washing once a week, and it’s still as soft as the first day,” writes verified Amazon purchaser Shelley B. Christian. “It’s the only thing I use on my bed and works in cold or hot temperatures. It is just so cozy. Buy it—everyone will try to steal it. You must guard it, even from the cat.”
- Ultra-soft reversible design
- Affordable price
- Available in an expanded size range
- 31 colors and prints to choose from
- Machine washable
- Realistic faux fur material is vegan and cruelty-free
- Over 2,600 Amazon ratings and a 4.7-star average
- Poly material may not be ideal for those who prefer natural fabrics
Best organic blanket
Saatva Organic Cotton Channel Quilt
Rich, organic cotton is a luxurious staple that instantly elevates any bedroom. The top-rated Saatva organic cotton channel quilt is a bestselling piece that acts as the cherry on top of your favorite organic cotton sheets. It’s available in three soft neutral shades and sizes twin through king, and is made of 100% GOTS-certified organic cotton.
The vertical one-inch channel quilt pattern adds style and technical charm to this warm blanket. Those grooved patterns trap and distribute heat to ensure your snuggliest sleep ever—especially when paired with one of the best side sleeper pillows.
- 100% GOTS-certified organic cotton
- Luxurious soft feel
- Vertical one-inch channel quilt pattern traps and distributes heat
- Easy to wash and care for
- Sizes twin through king
- Limited color selection, although the colors offered are neutral enough to work with any bedroom’s style
Best heated blanket
Bedsure Heated Electric Blanket
Whether you keep the thermostat turned down low or just need a little extra warmth, the Bedsure electric throw blanket is a winner. It features six precision heat settings, four timed settings and a clever automatic shutoff after three hours of use. That safety feature puts it way ahead of the heated blanket pack.
The best part? You can shop it in a range of sizes from couch-ready throw blankets all the way up to king, plus eight color choices.
“I got this for my wife for Christmas because her old blanket would no longer heat up, but I think this one may work a little too well,” shares Jason, a verified Amazon purchaser. “Whenever she gets off of work, she comes home and changes into sweats, and then she and our cat are pretty much parked on it and under it’s until time for bed.”
- Six heat settings
- Four timed settings
- Automatic shutoff safety feature
- Available in eight colors
- Sizes range from throw blanket to king
- Over 5,000 Amazon ratings and a 4.4-star average
- Some reviewers note wishing this warm blanket offered LED touch screen capabilities
Best budget blanket
Member’s Mark Waffle-Knit Blanket
You don’t have to spend a fortune to have one of the best warm blanket designs on your bed. This classic waffle-knit Member’s Mark blanket comes in a variety of soft neutral hues and either queen or king sizes. At about $25, the price can’t be beaten.
It’s ideal for layering with thicker comforters when the mercury drops, or as a solo choice during the warmer winter months. It’s also machine washable and drier-safe, so it’s one of the easiest blankets to care for.
- Affordable $25 price point
- Versatile waffle-knit texture that layers well or stands alone
- Comes in queen and king sizes
- Available in several soft, neutral tones
- Machine washable
- Polyester construction might not evenly distribute heat
Best luxury blanket
West Elm Silky Tencel Plush Comforter
This silky West Elm plush comforter couldn’t possibly feel more luxurious. It’s a glorious marriage of cooling, sustainable Tencel fabric and lush, warming fill to keep you toasty. That means you’ll stay warm without sweating—a rare and almost magical feat.
Available in nine modern shades and three versatile bed sizes, it’s a luxe bed addition you’ll wonder how you ever lived without. Now all you need to complete the bed of your dreams—pun intended—is a set of the best sheets.
- Luxurious, silky Tencel outer that wicks moisture away
- 100% recycled polyester inners keep you warm in even the coldest weather
- Made of sustainable and recycled materials
- Available in three sizes
- Nine modern neutral shades
- Requires less water to produce than cotton
- Can be machine washed, but tends to wrinkle in typical laundry machines
Best cotton blanket
Threadmill Cotton Herringbone Blanket
Cocoon yourself in 100% cotton with this Threadmill herringbone blanket. It’s appropriate for all seasons and comes in 13 shades ranging from neutral to bright. Choose from three popular bed sizes, and then rest well knowing this piece is made from all-natural fibers and can easily be machine washed. Add a cooling pillow for the ideal warm-weather snooze.
With nearly 8,000 ratings, it’s also one of the most popular blankets on Amazon in addition to being incredibly affordable. “I can’t get over the quality of this blanket,” says Sarah L. Horne, a verified Amazon purchaser. “It’s absolutely gorgeous.”
- Made of 100% all-natural cotton
- Handsome herringbone weave
- One of Amazon’s top-selling blankets with over 8,000 ratings and a 4.6-star average
- Affordable price for high-end design
- Layers well with heavier blankets or can be used on its own
- Machine washable
Best down comforter
Brooklinen Down Comforter
Melt into the cushy feeling of this heavenly Brooklinen down comforter and feel it immediately warm your body. Choose between ultra-warm, all-season and lightweight fills—and even those in cool climates may want to consider a lightweight comforter if you’ll be layering blankets.
Down cluster fill promises a shift-free sleep and quality that lasts for years. The 100% cotton sateen shell feels smooth against the body, and the entire piece is treated with ultra-fresh antimicrobials for long-lasting protection. Now all you need is a few high-quality down pillows.
- High-quality Canadian down in a cluster-fill formation
- Available in three weights
- Comes in bed sizes twin through California king
- 100% cotton sateen outer shell
- Hotel quality
Best down alternative comforter
Bedsure Down Alternative Duvet Insert
A more economical, vegan-friendly alternative to down is this top-rated Bedsure duvet insert. It features all the cozy warmth and plush feeling of down, but it’s made with clump-free polyester fill. With over 45,000 ratings and a nearly perfect 4.7-star average, this warm blanket is easily one of the most popular winter essentials on Amazon. In fact, reviewers can’t stop raving about how wonderful it is.
“We love this duvet insert.” writes verified Amazon purchaser, Marcie S. “It has loops on each corner and on the sides to secure it well to the duvet cover. It is super soft and comfortable. It’s not heavyweight, but it’s not too light either.”
- Polyester fill that feels and looks like expensive down
- Affordable price point
- Available in nine colors and six sizes
- Over 45,000 Amazon ratings and a nearly-perfect 4.7-star average
- Machine washable
- Medium weight
- If you put it in the dryer, set the machine for low heat with added wool dryer balls or tennis balls to maintain a fluffy texture
Best throw blanket
Quince Ribbed Cashmere Throw
Nothing beats the snuggly-soft texture of cashmere, which is exactly why this Quince ribbed cashmere throw made our list. It’s made of 100% real cashmere at a surprisingly affordable price.
Quince makes some of the best sweaters for cold weather—its cashmere sweater sells out every year—and now the softest blankets are added to the list of bestsellers this brand offers. It comes in two modern neutral tones and boasts a trendy rib knit. This adds dimension and texture to otherwise ho-hum living spaces.
- Ultra-soft 100% cashmere construction makes this the ultimate throw blanket
- Affordable for cashmere
- Available in two neutral colors
- Trendy rib knit texture
- Limited color offerings
- Only one size
Best blanket for movie night
Big Blanket Co Original Stretch Blanket
Get ready for better-than-ever movie nights, because you’ll never have to fight over blanket corners again. This brilliantly-designed Big Blanket Co original stretch blanket measures 10 feet long on each side. That means there’s plenty of space for couples, entire families and even Fido to snuggle up—simply add some pillows and you’ll have the coziest movie night ever.
Choose from 22 colors and patterns, and then wrestle with how many to order. These make thoughtful, unique gifts as well.
- Extra large format measures 100 total square feet—enough for a whole family to snuggle on movie night
- Machine washable material
- 22 colors and patterns
- Fun to use
- Stops kids and couples from bickering over who has more blanket
- Its large size means you’ll need a big laundry machine to wash it
Best weighted blanket
Luna Weighted Blanket
The impressive Luna weighted blanket is Amazon’s most popular weighted option. It doubles as one of the best cooling weighted blankets as well thanks to its silky, smooth exterior. It comes in nine different weights, every popular bed size and dozens of fun colors.
The blanket’s seven layers evenly distribute weight across the body. Though weighted blankets typically shouldn’t be put in laundry machines, this one can be machine washed on a gentle cycle and air-dried. Make sure you scoop up some cooling sheets to use it with.
“This is hands down the best weighted blanket I have ever had, and I have tried quite a few over the years,” shares Jennifer Brewer, a verified Amazon purchaser. “It is definitely worth every penny, though I think it’s very affordable for the quality.”
- Offers warm, weighted comfort with a smooth and cooling outer layer
- Available in several weights and sizes to suit every type of sleeper
- Over 15 color options
- Can be machine washed unlike most weighted blankets on the market
- Various additional covers are available to purchase separately
- Over 7,000 Amazon ratings with an impressive 4.6-star average
- Some reviewers note that the fabric is difficult to spot clean
- Not every size is available with every weight
Stop hunting for the best products and deals—get our expert scoop on secret sales and discounts, gift ideas for everyone and can’t-miss products. Sign up for the Stuff We Love newsletter.