The 5 Best Dishwasher Brands, According to Appliance Experts
In the market for a new dishwasher? Check out these expert-recommended, top-rated dishwasher brands before you buy.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
RD.com, via merchant (3)
The best dishwasher brands for you
When you see signs your dishwasher is dying, you’ll need to start looking for a durable replacement—and fast. But buying a dishwasher can be daunting, and not just for your wallet. After all, they all sound great, but that’s not necessarily the case when you get them home. Will your new appliance last several years or break in a matter of months? Will you get prompt customer service if there’s a problem or hear crickets when you need replacement parts or help with a warranty? That’s why it’s so important to buy the best dishwashers from the best dishwasher brands.
Just like with the best refrigerator brands and the best washer and dryer brands, we’re here to help you navigate this tricky process and identify the most reliable appliance companies. Here’s what you need to know.
What to consider when buying specific dishwasher brands
So what makes the best dishwasher brands, well, the best? There are many factors to consider when finding the right one to add to your kitchen. From finding brands with quick, friendly customer-service reps to choosing brands that boast state-of-the-art dishwasher features, these are the five most important things to consider before buying.
- Brand reputation: There are several household names when it comes to dishwasher manufacturers. The best dishwasher brands have been around for decades and have years of customer reviews to back their products.
- Serviceability: No matter how durable the dishwasher, it’s bound to break down at some point. Choose a brand with a strong network of service providers who can quickly repair your dishwasher when you need it.
- Customer service: Similarly, you’ll want to buy from brands that provide excellent customer service, whether you need help choosing the right dishwasher or you’re on the hunt for replacement parts.
- Warranties: Most major appliances include some type of warranty. But look for longer, more comprehensive warranties, including warranties for parts that tend to wear down quickly, such as gaskets and heating elements.
- Dishwasher features: The best dishwasher brands should offer products with excellent functionality. That might mean more storage with larger tubs and third racks for dishes, quiet noise levels below 49 decibels, or Wi-Fi connectivity to help you control your dishwasher with smart home devices.
How we selected the best dishwasher brands
Yes, there are dozens of dishwasher brands out there, and they may sound indistinguishable from one another. That’s why we’re breaking it all down for you—in easy-to-understand terms, with pro tips and recommendations. We spoke with appliance experts, combed through thousands of consumer reviews and selected brands with at least four-star ratings to come up with this list.
Here are our picks for the best dishwasher brands:
- Best overall: Bosch
- Best budget: Whirlpool
- Best high-end: Cove
- Best smart: Samsung
- Best energy-efficient: Miele
Get Reader’s Digest’s Read Up newsletter for more trusted brands, cleaning, travel, tech, humor and fun facts all week long.
Whether you’re looking for a luxury dishwasher model with plenty of features or something simple, reliable and energy-efficient, Bosch has you covered. Bosch was first founded in 1886, and today it is a highly trusted brand. It’s our top pick for dishwashers because of its versatile offerings, ranging from durable but budget-friendly options to advanced models with extra functionality, including Wi-Fi connectivity.
“Bosch is known for producing high-quality, energy-efficient dishwashers,” says Michael Davis, an HVAC and plumbing expert and a writer at PlumberTip, adding that the company offers a variety of models with different features and price points. “Bosch dishwashers also come with a good warranty, and the company has a reputation for offering excellent customer service.”
Bosch dishwashers include a standard one-year warranty, and the brand earned a 2022 Energy Star Partner of the Year Award from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). As for features, you can find everything from adjustable racks to smart home connectivity, and some of its models are extremely quiet, with as little as 42 dBA.
- Wide range of models, from budget to luxe
- Excellent brand reputation
- Quiet, energy-efficient models
Replacement parts may be difficult to find for some models
Founded in 1911, Whirlpool has more than a century of experience in the home-appliance industry. Plus, it makes reliable products that won’t break your kitchen remodel budget. Whirlpool dishwashers typically range from about $600 to $800 and are often available with promotional deals and sales, while comparable models may cost $900 to $1,800.
“They are a tried-and-true brand that has consistently put out products that require little to no repairs during their life span,” says Michael Cornell, appliance repair senior expert at Asurion Appliance Repair. “When repairs are necessary, they tend to be on the lower side for cost, and parts are readily available.”
Scott Burger, owner of Neu Appliance Outlet, also likes the design of Whirlpool and its other brands, Maytag and KitchenAid. Because of the way they’re made, you can avoid repair and replace parts quickly and affordably. “They share designs and, in many cases, parts. Their parts are shared by many different models, which is a winning business model for keeping parts in stock,” Burger says. “Plus, their designs are great and engineered very well.”
- Affordable prices on reliable dishwashers
- Energy Star models from a brand focused on sustainability
- Rarely requires repairs
- Easy to find parts when repairs are necessary
Models may have fewer flashy features compared with other brands
Part of the luxe Sub-Zero and Wolf family of brands, Cove offers completely customizable dishwashers with all the bells and whistles you could dream of. These dishwashers are made in the United States from stainless steel materials, and the brand also puts its appliances through rigorous stress-testing. These dishwashers are designed to last up to 20 years with regular use.
“This is a very stylish and high-end brand that offers amazing functionality,” Cornell says. “They are more difficult to source and repair, but the craftsmanship is very good, and few repairs are necessary during the natural life span of the unit.”
Their custom options make Cove dishwashers especially appealing for high-end kitchens. Inside, the rack heights and tines can be adjusted to fit all types of dishes, all while making loading a dishwasher quick and easy. The exteriors come in stainless steel, which match other stainless steel appliances from Sub-Zero and Wolf, or are panel-ready and can be made to match your kitchen cabinetry. Even the washing and drying modes can be customized to suit your household needs.
Another perk? While most brands offer a one-year warranty on dishwashers, Cove boasts a five-year warranty for its dishwasher models.
- Modern, customizable designs
- Extremely durable
- Five-year full-service warranty
Newer brand that may be harder to find service, parts and repair shops for
You’re likely familiar with Samsung’s smartphones and TVs, so it should come as no surprise that this brand would make the list of best dishwasher brands, especially when it comes to smart home appliances. Samsung’s dishwashers offer many sophisticated features for lower rates than similar smart options from other brands. For example, an Energy Star–certified Samsung Top Control 24-inch smart dishwasher with 42 dBA is $1,099, or $849 on sale; a similar Energy Star–certified smart dishwasher with the same size and sound specs from GE is $1,249, while another from LG is also $1,249. Plus, fingerprint-resistant designs make it simple to keep your dishwasher clean.
“From my personal experience, Samsung is generally one of the most feature-rich brands for the price tags,” Burger says. “You get more features for the money compared with some other brands.”
Samsung’s smart dishwashers connect to the brand’s SmartThings app, which can monitor the dishwasher’s cycles and allow the user to start, stop or delay a wash right from their phone. The brand is also highly rated for product and service quality, earning the top spot for overall product quality, service quality and service repair for home appliances on the 2022 American Customer Satisfaction Index Survey.
- Wi-Fi-enabled dishwashers that connect with a smartphone app and smart home devices
- Modern designs and bespoke options to match any kitchen
- Dishwashers with as low as 39 dBA
Can be difficult to find replacement parts
With dishwashers that use far less energy and water than the U.S. federal standards, it’s no surprise that Miele is a top brand for sustainably minded consumers. But Miele doesn’t just sell Energy Star dishwashers. All its dishwasher models are considered Most Efficient Energy Star certified, meaning that the EPA considers them the best of the best in terms of energy savings.
While some of the brand’s bells and whistles for dishwashers include adjustable racks, quick-cleaning cycles, delayed-start functions and even Wi-Fi connectivity for certain models, what really makes Miele dishwashers stand out is their durability and longevity. These dishwashers are designed to last up to 20 years, about double the life span of a typical dishwasher. They also include a standard two-year warranty that can be extended to five years, and some models include a complimentary five-year warranty.
Consumer reviews also point out that these dishwashers are impressively quiet, about the noise level of a whisper. Plus, the fingerprint-resistant exterior is a favorite for families, who love that smudges from the kids’ hands don’t show on the surface of these sleek dishwashers.
- All Miele dishwashers are Most Efficient Energy Star certified
- Use as little as 199 kWh per year and three gallons of water per cycle
- Quick Intense Wash settings for efficient washing and drying in under one hour
- Models tend to start at higher price points compared with other dishwasher brands
- Michael Davis, HVAC and plumbing expert and writer at PlumberTip
- Michael Cornell, appliance repair senior expert at Asurion Appliance Repair
- Scott Burger, owner of Neu Appliance Outlet