100 Heartfelt Engagement Wishes to Celebrate the Happy Couple
Is there something new and shiny in your loved one's life? Once you're done screaming for joy, we've got the perfect engagement wishes to help you express your happiness.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
Engagement wishes to share your excitement
You might be scrolling through social media when you get the news. Or you might receive a call with a full play-by-play. You may even see it happen in person. However you find out, this is a momentous occasion: Someone you love has gotten engaged. After doling out hugs and drinking champagne, the next step is sending some sweet engagement wishes to the happy couple. But how do you know what to write in an engagement card?
Researching the history of engagement rings, popping the question, planning an engagement photo shoot and organizing a wedding all make up an exciting time for a couple. Proper wedding etiquette calls for congratulations wishes. Celebrate the lovebirds in a way that’s meaningful for them and their relationship—as well as the relationship you have with them.
If you want your fave couple to feel the love when they open your engagement card, take a look at the list below: We’ve put together the best engagement wishes for every type of couple. And keep in mind that you’ll also want to send along some lovely wedding wishes for the big day when that arrives.
Get Reader’s Digest’s Read Up newsletter for more etiquette, humor, cleaning, travel, tech and fun facts all week long.
Engagement wishes for friends
1. Congratulations! Can’t wait to celebrate the next chapter with you. Love, your official third wheel.
2. Two of my best friends are now fiancés! Warmest wishes to my favorite couple.
3. Here’s to love, friendship and a big party to celebrate both! Happy engagement!
4. The only person who loves you more than you love each other is me, your best friend. And maybe your moms. Congratulations on your engagement!
5. Finally! Can’t wait to celebrate your special day!
6. Congratulations on your engagement! Enjoy this special time together—wedding-planning stress will be here before you know it.
7. Happiness: what you’ll always have. Love: what you’ll always share. An engagement ring: what will sparkle forever. Congratulations!
8. You don’t marry the person you can live with but the person you can’t live without. Happy engagement!
9. Out of all the billions of people in the world, you two found each other for a lifetime of love. And I found you for a lifetime of friendship. I couldn’t be happier for you two!
10. I’ve been lucky enough to be your best friend for a while now, and I’ve seen you grow so much as people and as a couple. Here’s to a lifetime of growth, happiness and love. Congratulations on your engagement!
11. You’re getting married—congratulations! I can’t wait to help you plan the wedding, keep the kids out of the cake and get the grandmas on the dance floor.
12. I can’t believe I have to share my best friend with their new spouse. At least you’re perfect for each other! Congratulations!
13. I haven’t stopped smiling since I heard your news! Thanks for making me the happiest friend in town, and congratulations on getting engaged!
14. Two nicer people have never ever gotten engaged. Congratulations!
15. Congrats on finally locking this thing down. You’re both too amazing not to be together!
16. One million congratulations! May your love shine more brightly every day, your wedding venue offer a discount and your relatives all get along (at least until the photos have been snapped).
17. This engagement couldn’t have happened to a nicer couple! Congratulations to two of my best friends.
18. I’m so proud of you for following Beyoncé’s advice: You liked it, so you put a ring on it. Congratulations!
19. I’ve been a lucky guest at a lot of your big life events, but this one is my favorite so far. Congratulations!
20. I’ve never seen two people more perfect for each other. I wish you all the happiness in your marriage journey!
Now that you know what to write in an engagement card for your pals, find the perfect engagement gift as well. We’ve got some ideas for you below!
Engagement wishes for family
21. Congratulations on your engagement! Thank you for making our family a bit more wonderful.
22. I’ve often wondered who would end up marrying my little brother, and I’m so happy that he’s this amazing! Congratulations, you two!
23. You’ve made us the happiest family in the world! Can’t wait to celebrate with you.
24. Congratulations! I’m so excited to be getting a new sister!
25. Someone so special to me has found someone so special to them. I couldn’t be happier. Congratulations!
26. You’re not just marrying the love of your life. You’re also joining our family, and we’re so excited to have you. Congratulations!
27. I couldn’t ask for a better daughter-in-law. Thank you for making my son so happy.
28. Two wonderful people spending their lives together—what could make an old man happier? Congratulations to you both!
29. As your sister, who knows you the best and loves you the most, I couldn’t have picked a more perfect partner for you. Congratulations on your engagement!
30. Newlyweds become oldyweds, and oldyweds make families work.
31. We’re so looking forward to becoming your family! Thank you for making my mother the happiest woman in the world.
32. We’ve never doubted the choices you’ve made, and we were right—you always make the right choice for you. Congratulations on your engagement!
33. Congratulations! As the keeper of all your embarrassing childhood stories, it’s my duty to plan your bachelor party. Sorry!
34. As your family, we’ve always been picky about your partners. But with your new fiancée, we have no complaints. Congratulations!
35. The family is growing bigger … and happier. Congrats!
36. You are so happy, so we’re even happier for you. Congratulations!
37. We’re thrilled to add a permanent new place setting at the table. Congratulations on your engagement!
38. Congratulations! Your father is already practicing his dance moves for the wedding, and I’m practicing my happy tears. We love you both so much!
39. Since the day you brought him home, we’ve hoped we would one day add him to the family because we saw how happy he makes you. Congratulations on your engagement!
40. Welcome to the family!
Sure, they just got engaged, but it’s never too early to start planning for wedding gifts!
Short engagement wishes
41. Engaged has a nice ring to it!
42. I can’t wait to see you both walk down the aisle!
43. Sending my warmest wishes to the two of you.
44. To a beautiful soon-to-be bride and groom! Congratulations!
45. Congratulations! I sense a lifetime of love and happiness incoming!
46. Two people have never been a better match. Congratulations!
47. Congratulations! I can’t wait to hear all the details.
48. I ship you two!
49. May you live happily ever after.
50. Here’s to a beautiful future together!
51. Warmest wishes on this most special of days.
52. Congratulations! I know you’ll continue to make each other very happy.
53. Wishing you all the best in this exciting new chapter.
54. Here’s to many long and happy years together!
55. All the happiness in the world is yours! Congratulations!
56. This is the best news! Congratulations on your engagement.
57. What a wonderful and welcome surprise. Congratulations!
58. Congratulations! May your married life be full of joy and fun.
59. A lifetime of love and happiness is coming your way. Congrats!
60. You two are made for each other!
Even if you don’t know someone that well, short but heartfelt engagement wishes or a genuine “thinking of you” message can go a long way.
Meaningful engagement wishes
61. May your life together be as beautiful as your love for each other.
62. You two are proof that soulmates are real and true love exists. Can’t wait to cry on your special day!
63. Congratulations on finding the perfect person to spend your life with. I’m so happy for you both!
64. Marriage is a mosaic you build together: Millions of tiny moments make up one big love story.
65. You two are the ship that will weather the storms of life and delight in the calm days. Congratulations!
66. To love and be loved is the greatest joy life can bring. Congratulations and warmest wishes for a wonderful marriage.
67. I’m so happy you found each other! Congratulations on the next step in your beautiful journey together.
68. The happier the engagement, the more fun the wedding and the longer-lasting the marriage. I’ve never seen two people look happier, which means you’ve got it figured out already!
69. May your love story continue forever and your happiness grow every year.
70. I don’t know anyone luckier than you, except for maybe your soon-to-be groom. Congratulations to the most fortunate couple around.
71. Here’s to falling in love with each other every day in new ways. Congratulations on your engagement and warmest wishes for a long and happy life together.
72. Congratulations! I’m so happy for you both. Just keep loving each other, and the rest will fall into place.
73. May you walk miles and miles hand in hand. Congratulations!
74. Congratulations on your new life chapter! Wishing you every blessing as you embark on your marriage.
75. You are such a lovely couple. Congratulations on your engagement and warmest wishes for every happiness life can bring.
76. Congratulations on getting engaged! Watching this loving, supportive relationship blossom has been a true delight. Looking forward to celebrating your love!
77. The engagement is the easy part. For a long-lasting marriage, you need love and respect. Luckily, you have both in spades. Congratulations!
78. You’re about to embark on one of life’s greatest adventures together. May the road ahead be filled with gorgeous vistas, smooth stretches, exciting turns, ascending switchbacks and some easy downhill coasts.
79. May the spark of your love light the way through the years ahead and always guide you back to one another.
80. This is such wonderful news! We couldn’t be more excited about your engagement. It’s not just “yes” to a wedding; it’s “yes” to a lifetime of light and love. Congratulations!
Planning on being part of the couple’s big day? Learn the basics of wedding guest attire before you settle on your formalwear.
Funny engagement wishes
81. There’s no way to guarantee a lifetime of happiness, but that gorgeous ring is a great start. Congrats!
82. Fiancé? Fiancée? Either way, this calls for a parté!
83. Thank you for giving me an excuse to pop the champagne. Congratulations on your engagement!
84. I’m so happy that you two awesome nerds found each other. Can’t wait for your wedding!
85. Marriage is the alliance of two people: one who never remembers birthdays, and one who never forgets them. See, you’re perfect together!
86. Congratulations on getting engaged! Next up: the joy of the wedding registry.
87. Congratulations! I’m 90% happiness, 10% tears and 100% up for an open bar at your wedding.
88. Thank you for kicking off a stream of great parties: engagement, bachelorette, wedding and anniversary. Congratulations!
89. You two are engaged? That must mean we’re officially old! Congratulations anyway!
90. Anyone can catch your eye, but it took someone this weird and cute to catch your heart. Congratulations on your engagement!
91. You don’t fall in love with someone for their looks, their bank account or their job. You fall in love with them for their ability to whip up an amazing breakfast. Here’s to a lifetime of great mornings!
92. Thank you both for removing yourselves from the dating pool. You were tilting the averages with your good looks.
93. I’m so happy for you both! You’ve found that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your lives. Congratulations!
94. You’re guaranteed a ring and a life partner, but if you do your wedding registry right, you could also get a brand-new washing machine!
95. It looks like you guys are getting serious! Just kidding. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!
96. Congratulations on your engagement! Here’s a list of who is crying today: me (happy tears), your mothers (happy tears) and everyone who just realized you’re both off the market (tears of devastation). Can’t wait to celebrate with you!
97. Engagement is just the first of three rings: the engagement ring, the wedding ring and the feathering … of the nest with all your wedding gifts. Congratulations!
98. Pop the bubbly—you’re getting a hubby! I’m so happy for you both!
99. Congratulations, you two! I can’t wait to ugly-cry at your wedding.
100. I can’t wait to see you two grow old(er) together. Congrats!
Now that you’ve got the engagement wishes sorted, get ahead of the game by brushing up on common wedding traditions you may notice during the big event.
Engagement gifts to celebrate the happy couple
An excited card is enough to get across your congratulations, but sending a small engagement gift is a nice touch if you’re close to the couple. You don’t have to go big, but do get personal. Give a nod to their shared history with a gift that references a place or event important to their relationship—say, a dish engraved with the date they got engaged or a painting of the place they met. Or usher them into the future with a gift they can use together as newlyweds.
Skipping a gift isn’t an etiquette mistake, but sending one (or bringing it with you to the engagement party) is just one more way to tell the happy couple you’re thrilled by their big news.
- Minted The Big Picture: Commemorate their love and give them something fun to do together with a personalized puzzle featuring a photo of them.
- Homesick Love Letters Candle: With notes of sandalwood, lemon and rose, this soy wax candle will set the mood for their first date night as an engaged couple.
- Aura Mason Luxe Frame: Help them give those gorgeous engagement pictures a place to show off with a frame that displays photos and videos straight from a smartphone.
- Happy Box Custom Gift Box: You know the couple best, so put together a personalized gift box from the fun and varied items curated by Happy Box. Choose from goodies like cookies, bath soaks, coffee, glassware and more.
- Delight Patisserie Custom Message Shortbread Cookies: What’s better than a buttery shortbread cookie? This box from Anthropologie, which lets you customize the message for the couple. Add their name, engagement date or simply “Congratulations!”
- Hakuna Co. Designs Custom Line Drawing: Send a photo of the lovely couple to Oanh Vu, the artist behind Hakuna Co. Designs, to get a custom line drawing they’ll proudly display in their new home.