101 Thoughtful New Home Wishes for the Warmest Welcome
Congratulations are in order! These new home wishes will help you convey just the right sentiment—and help you score an invite to the housewarming party.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
How to congratulate someone on a new home
Nothing is as satisfying (or exciting or nerve-wracking) as watching that “For sale” sign come down in front of a house and knowing that it’s now yours! Buying a home is a huge accomplishment, representing years of hard work, saving, strategizing and sacrifice. And whether someone is buying their first home or their forever home, it’s definite cause for celebration. Yes, even if they’re moving away and you’ll miss them terribly—perhaps especially if that’s the case. Whether you’re congratulating family members, friends or new neighbors you hope will become good friends, you need the perfect new home wishes to let them know just how happy you are for them.
What should you write in a housewarming card?
You’ll likely want to start with some form of congratulations message, but new home wishes need to go beyond that. They should convey a special blend of pride, happiness, humor and excitement for the future. There aren’t any hard-and-fast etiquette rules you need to follow, and whether you go with something heartfelt or funny will really depend on your personality and your relationship with the new homeowner. A funny quip can also ease the stress of moving and make them forget about all the boxes they need to unpack … at least for a little while.
We have plenty of suggestions for you to find the right words, as well as some suggestions for housewarming gifts they’ll absolutely love. Even better? That combo is sure to score you an invite to their place sometime soon!
Get Reader’s Digest’s Read Up newsletter for more etiquette tips, humor, cleaning, travel, tech and fun facts all week long.
New home wishes for first-time homeowners
1. Congratulations on buying your first home! May it be filled to the roof with love, laughter and happy memories.
2. I’m so excited for you—saying “home sweet home” never gets old!
3. Best wishes with your move and getting settled into your first place!
4. Here’s to a new chapter in your lives as homeowners. May your first home have plenty of laughter, joy and memories—and no basement leaks!
5. Here’s to dreams coming true! I’m so happy your dream of becoming a homeowner finally happened.
6. Any house is made of boards and beams. Your first home is made of hopes and dreams.
7. Congrats on your first house! I’m so excited to get lost in IKEA with you now!
8. Nice job on the adulting!
9. Love your new place! Enjoy settling in and making it all yours.
10. This house is amazing. You are amazing. This is going to be amazing. That is all.
11. All my love and well wishes as you turn this new house into your home.
12. Your first home is the beginning of an exciting new chapter in your life. So happy for you!
13. I know you’ve been saving for this for a long time—I’m so proud of you for accomplishing this dream.
14. This is a huge first step, and I know it was a little scary, but I’m so excited for you to grow into this home.
15. Cheers to your new adventure in homeownership. May it be full of fun, joy, love and home repairs. (It’s inevitable—sorry!)
16. Good luck with your big move! So happy that you guys have finally found your dream home.
17. Congratulations on your new place! This is where memories are made—and may you make many beautiful ones here.
18. How does it feel holding those new house keys in your hand? So excited to share this big moment with you!
19. New home, new place, new beginnings, new you!
20. This new home is absolutely perfect for you, and I couldn’t be happier for you!
Send your housewarming wishes with a bouquet from one of the best online flower delivery services, or bring over a card in person.
New home wishes for family
21. We’re so excited to make some fun memories with you in your new home!
22. So excited to hear about your new house! P.S. If you really love me, you won’t ask me to help you move.
23. Remember: The longest road out is the shortest road home—especially for family.
24. “He is happiest, be he king or peasant, who finds peace in his home.” —Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
25. I remember watching you decorate your first dollhouse—I’m so excited to see what you do with the real deal. (But no purple flowered wallpaper, right?)
26. Love the new place—it’s very you. (And you are one of my favorite people in the world!)
27. So excited for you to move out and get your own place! Now, which room is mine?
28. Congratulations on your home. I hope you make as many beautiful memories in it with your family as we have together in our family home.
29. Good luck with your new home! We miss you already, but you can still come visit anytime you like.
30. Please accept these towels as a housewarming gift. (I really wanted to pick out your shower fixtures, but Mom said that would be weird.)
31. Congratulations on your beautiful home. Let the decorating games begin!
32. May your walls ring with love and laughter, and may we always be a part of it.
33. Your new home is the starting place of new love, hope and dreams. So excited for your new beginning!
34. Remember when we used to “play house” as kids? Super excited to play house with you again in your new place—but this time, I promise not to light anything on fire.
35. Good luck, and may God bless you as you and your family settle into your new home.
36. May your family have many happy years together in your beautiful home.
37. Congratulations on your new home! I love you, and I can’t wait to visit you soon.
38. You know what they say: Family is forever. So which room is mine?
39. The new house is great! As your big brother/sister, I never thought I’d say this to you, but well done on the adulting!
40. Here’s everything you need for your move to your new home: chocolate for when it gets bad, Ibuprofen for when it gets really bad, and Dad’s phone number for when all hell breaks loose.
Consider gifting a low-maintenance houseplant to add some greenery to their new space!
New home wishes for neighbors
41. New neighbors, new home, new fun!
42. Welcome to the neighborhood! When can I come check out your new living room, and will the Super Bowl be on?
43. Congratulations on your new home. We just know you’re going to love it here—we certainly do!
44. So glad you moved in! May your home always be too small to hold all of your friends—new and old.
45. Welcome to the hive! We’re so excited to bee your new neighbors.
46. Welcome to the neighborhood! When you’re ready, we’d love to show you around.
47. I saw you have a riding mower. Welcome to the neighborhood, bestie.
48. So glad you’re here! I’m sorry I wasn’t around to help you move in! (No, I’m not, but it seemed like the neighborly thing to say.)
49. Welcome to your new home! If you need anything, mi casa es su casa!
50. We’re so glad you’re here, and we’re excited to get to know you guys better.
51. High-fives all around—the house is yours now!
52. New neighbors are found treasures. We’re excited to get to know you more.
53. A new home! You know what this means, right? Party time!
54. So excited to meet you and get to know you better! Let me know when you’re ready for visitors, and I’ll bring the coffee and you bring the chatting!
55. Howdy, new neighbors! Congratulations on the new home!
56. Welcome, neighbors! Here’s to summer barbecues, winter snowball fights and never being weird about parking spots.
57. So excited you’re here! Let us know if you need help moving in.
58. Welcome to the neighborhood! There are only two rules: 1. Know that everyone’s walls are paper thin. 2. Pretend they aren’t.
59. We were so happy to hear that you bought the house next door to us, and we can’t wait to meet you. Congratulations on your home!
60. Warmest wishes for your housewarming!
61. Welcome! Please enjoy this six-pack, and toast with me: Here’s to staying home and waiting for the snow to melt instead of shoveling!
When you do get together for that drink, be ready to raise a glass with one of the best toasts for the occasion.
Funny new home wishes
62. Enjoy this housewarming essentials kit: WD40 for everything that doesn’t move and should; duct tape for everything that moves and shouldn’t; and garbage bags to hide the rest.
63. Congrats on the 30-year mortgage! Your ex was wrong—clearly you’re not afraid of commitment!
64. Just remember this when it comes to home repairs: Home wasn’t built in a day.
65. Allow me to say this new home blessing: May your foundation always be without cracks, may your ceiling always be without asbestos, may your roof never leak, and may your paint never be leaded. (You did have those things checked, right?)
66. Welcome to the club of people who have a plumber, a pest-control specialist and a handyman in their most-frequent-contacts list.
67. You must be so happy buying your first home—but I bet your parents are even happier!
68. Congrats to you, and condolences to your neighbors. Have you told them how you like to garden in the nude?
69. Great news! Now if you ever get lost, you can find your way home!
70. Congrats on the new place. When can I invite myself over?
71. So now that you can’t afford to go out anymore, what are we going to do for fun, and why is it always going to be in your living room?
72. Even though you have a new address, here’s hoping the Wi-Fi password stays the same.
73. Congratulations on the new home. Condolences on the mortgage. Welcome to adulting!
74. Have you ever thought about how much debt, responsibility and worry come with a new home? Yeah, so here’s a card. Hope it helps!
75. So glad you got your own home! This will make it way easier to overstay my welcome now.
76. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so here’s a picture I took of your new home. From the bushes. At night. You’re welcome.
77. Here’s hoping your new neighbors aren’t weirdos! (Or at least are less weird than we were—good luck!)
78. I think it’s so cool you bought the haunted house. You’re so brave! Wait, you did know it’s haunted, right?
79. So excited to see you fill your new home with love, laughter and laundry.
80. Congrats! Home is where you never have to wear a bra!
81. Did you really think that moving to a new house would keep me from coming over to use your toilet? I’m shocked you don’t know me better by now.
82. Home isn’t where the heart is. Home is where your Wi-Fi connects automatically.
Inspiring new home wishes and blessings
83. Wishing you all the love and happiness your new home can hold.
84. Home isn’t just where you’re from—it’s the light in the darkness, the beacon in the storm and the place you go to when everything is falling apart.
85. Home is heaven on earth, and I’m excited for you to create your own little slice of heaven.
86. Wishing you all the best in your new home. May it bring you joy and comfort for years to come.
87. Home is a place of warmth and comfort, and may yours be a sanctuary for you and your loved ones.
88. “There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort.” —Jane Austen
89. A new home isn’t just a new address—it’s new fun, new memories, new tears and new joys. Congratulations!
90. Buying a house takes just a moment of time, but creating a home takes a lifetime. Here’s to a lifetime of joy and happiness here.
91. You, the home, the garden, the city, the sunset: This couldn’t be more perfect, and I’m so excited to see where you go from here.
92. A new home is like any big change in life—it’s so, so hard but also so, so worth it.
93. Your new home is fun, charming, interesting and full of possibilities—just like you!
94. Nothing is more cathartic than moving: You can clear out your past, box up your present and move on to a brighter future.
95. This is your new happy place!
96. Your home should tell the story of who you are and be a collection of what you love.” —Nate Berkus
97. Moving can be the happiest kind of math. New country = new home. New place = new adventures. New friends = new memories.
98. I love you so much, and I’m sad to see you go, but I’m so excited for you in your new house and to watch you make it your own.
99. Best of luck with this move, and remember: Love your neighbor, but don’t remove your fence.
100. Welcome to your new home: May your heart live where your feet rest.
101. This is a huge accomplishment, and I’m so proud of you and everything you’ve done to get to this place. I hope you can take a minute and truly appreciate all the good things you’ve done and the hard work you’ve put in to get here.
For more ideas, check out these inspirational quotes that they’ll remember long after they’ve settled into their new home.
The best housewarming gifts
Thoughtful is the name of the game when it comes to the perfect housewarming gifts. You can go practical with useful home items they’ll use every day (hello, coffeemaker!), or you can opt for a sentimental and personalized gift that commemorates their new home. And, of course, you can never go wrong with food, wine or flowers. Whatever you choose, it will be perfect because it’s from you—and they’ll think of you every time they look at it.
- Picnic at Ascot Personalized Cheese Board: Charcuterie and cheese? Yes, please! Even better, this engraveable bamboo serving piece has a tiered design that allows it to fold up into a quarter of its size, making it super easy to store.
- FTD Graceful Gardenia Plant: Whether they keep it inside or plant it in their new garden, this gorgeous gardenia is the gift that will keep on giving, season after season.
- Aura Mason Digital Frame: You may be miles apart, but this digital frame will make you feel closer than ever. You can add pictures and videos straight to this genius device from anywhere in the world, so they won’t miss one precious minute or memory.
- Harry & David Housewarming Gift Basket: If they haven’t stocked the fridge yet, this deluxe snack pack will be particularly appreciated! With delectable chocolate truffles, raspberry galettes, Harry & David’s signature pears and so much more, they’ll have plenty to nosh on.
- 1-800 Baskets New Home Artisan Iced Cookies: These delightfully decorated cookies couldn’t be any cuter or more delicious. You might want to order an extra box for yourself, even if you aren’t the one moving. Shhh—we won’t tell!