The Best Smart Doorbells That Help Keep Your Home Safe and Sound
Whether it's opportunity knocking, an annoying salesperson or a suspicious stranger, the best smart doorbell can help you decide if you want to answer the door—without getting anywhere near it
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
RD.COM, VIA MERCHANT (3)
The best smart doorbells to buy in 2022
Thinking about getting a smart doorbell? Homeowners say it’s one of the smart home devices that’s worth every penny—and it’s easy to see why. The best smart doorbells give you the superpower of X-ray vision by allowing you to see who’s at your front door without actually answering it. They also provide an added layer of security that can help keep your property and your family safe.
But with dozens of products on the market, it’s hard to choose the best smart doorbell for your situation … or is it? We’ve broken down the top choices on the market for every individual need, concern and budget. But to figure out which one is right for you, we should go over some basics first.
What is a smart doorbell?
A smart doorbell is a doorbell and so much more. It pairs a video camera with an app on your smartphone, allowing you to see who’s at your door without having to be anywhere near it. It even works when you’re thousands of miles away on a tropical vacation. Even better, smart doorbells come with two-way audio, which means you can talk to the person at your door and hear their response. Some smart doorbells have additional features, such as the ability to deter porch pirates and would-be burglars by sounding an alarm if they sense a threat.
What to consider when buying a smart doorbell
It’s important to keep in mind that the best doorbell camera may be different for you than for your neighbor, since we all have different needs. For instance, smart doorbells get their power from one of two sources: low-voltage wiring or batteries. If you don’t already have a doorbell, choosing a model that has built-in rechargeable batteries is going to be the easiest for DIY installation. If you’re worried about false alarms, select a smart doorbell with adjustable sensitivities. Finally, cost is also a consideration, especially when it comes to some with fancier bells and whistles. But don’t worry—there’s a great smart doorbell at every price point.
How we chose the best smart doorbells
To narrow down our selection to the absolute best smart doorbells on the market, we researched the top brands and scoured thousands of reviews to see what real users had to say about these devices. We also made sure to select the best option in a variety of different categories, focusing on specific features, price points and installation needs.
Here are our picks for the best smart doorbells of 2022:
- Best overall: Arlo Essential Wired Video Doorbell
- Best for protecting deliveries: Vivint Doorbell Camera Pro
- Best no-subscription: Eufy Security Video Doorbell
- Best versatility: Blink Video Doorbell
- Best battery-powered: Ring Video Doorbell 4
- Best for tight spaces: Nest Doorbell Wired
- Best combo video doorbell and smart lock: Lockly Vision Elite
- Best budget: Ring Video Doorbell Wired
- Best for easy installation: Wyze Video Doorbell
- Best for privacy: ADT Doorbell Camera
- Best color options: SimpliSafe Video Doorbell Pro
Get Reader’s Digest’s Read Up newsletter for more tech, travel, cleaning, humor and fun facts all week long.
Arlo Essential Wired Video Doorbell
Finally, a smart doorbell with a sleek design that shows a person from head-to-toe and also a package that’s sitting on the ground! The wide, 180-degree viewing angle of the Arlo Essential means you can easily see it all from the comfort and safety of your phone. What’s more, the website offers step-by-step instructions for how to disconnect your existing doorbell and connect the Arlo, making installation super easy. Your purchase also comes with a three-month Arlo Secure trial, which allows you to take swifter action in case of emergency.
Once you see how life-changing a smart doorbell can be, you might want to upgrade to smart everything else too: smart speakers, smart TVs, smart alarm clocks and smart thermostats.
- Works with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant
- Certified to withstand heat, cold, rain or sun
- Fewer false alerts because it can distinguish people from animals or packages
- You’ll need a $3/month subscription to Arlo Secure to access more features
- Wiring required
Best for protecting deliveries
Vivint Doorbell Camera Pro
If you’re constantly receiving deliveries from online orders, the Vivint Doorbell Camera Pro will give you package peace of mind. It not only notifies you when a package arrives but also proactively protects it with Smart Deter technology that will warn thieves with light and sound. If you’re a frequent online shopper, it’s one of those products that will definitely make your life better. It offers 24/7 recording (even in the dark) and two-way talk, and it will also capture video if your Wi-Fi is down.
- Built-in infrared night vision
- 180 x 180 camera view
- 24/7 monitoring and recording
- Requires professional installation
- Only works with Vivint systems
Best no-subscription option
Eufy Security Video Doorbell
There are a lot of things smart doorbell owners don’t want to deal with, like wires and monthly subscription fees. Well, Eufy Security removes both of these obstacles, which means fewer reasons not to purchase a device that could keep your whole family safe. You’ll get a crisp 1080p-grade head-to-toe image, hassle-free installation that’s completed in a matter of minutes and data that’s securely stored locally on the doorbell (via a micro-SD card) instead of the cloud.
- No monthly fees
- Less than $100
- Some reviewers say the battery doesn’t last the promised 120 days
Blink Video Doorbell
It’s nice to have options when it comes to tech. The Blink Video Doorbell works with every home system, which means you can install it wire-free or connect to an existing doorbell wiring so that it also sounds your in-home chime. And it does everything you need it to—including two-way audio, HD video day or night, and app alerts—for an incredibly affordable price. Smart doorbells definitely make our list of the best inventions of the past decade.
- Works on its own or with your existing doorbell
- 82% of the 72,000 Amazon reviews are four stars or higher
- Less than $50
- Alexa enabled
- 30-day free trial of the subscription plan and $3–$10/month after that
Ring Video Doorbell 4
This latest rendition of the Ring has improved video previews, enhanced dual-band Wi-Fi and a better battery life, which addresses some of the chief customer complaints from earlier versions. And when it’s time to recharge, the new quick-release battery makes it easier than ever. Plus, Pre-Roll video previews all motion events in color, so you’ll never miss a moment of the action outside your front door.
- Runs on a rechargeable battery or connects to your doorbell wires for continuous power
- 92% of the 8,000 Amazon reviews are four stars or higher
- Two-way communication through the Ring app, Alexa, Echo or Fire TV device
- Visitors can leave a message with preselected Quick Replies
Best for tight spaces
Nest Doorbell Wired
If space is tight by your front door, the Nest Doorbell Wired might be your best bet. It boasts a taller 145-degree diagonal field of view, so you can see people from head-to-toe, yet you can also see packages left as close as eight inches from your door. Bonus: The product is sustainably designed with 45% recycled plastic content. For more security inside your home, check out the new Google Nest Cam Indoor.
- Tall, thin profile
- Always on because it’s wired (no charging batteries)
- You can check in from anywhere using the Google Home app
- Three hours of event video history included
- The Nest Aware Plus subscription costs extra, but it captures up to 10 days of continuous recording
Best combo video doorbell and smart lock
Lockly Vision Elite
Home security gadgets that pull double-duty deliver a lot of value in a small footprint, and that’s the case with the Lockly Vision Elite. This streamlined front-door security device is a video smart lock, which means you have two safety functions in one. The video doorbell portion of it features 1080p streaming/recorded videos, a night-vision mode, motion detection with AI false alert prevention and even an integrated solar panel to help keep the battery charged. If a burglar does get into your home, make sure your items are protected with one of these home safes security experts trust.
- Multitasks as a smart lock and smart doorbell
- No subscription needed
- Doesn’t require existing wiring
- Solar-enhanced charging
Ring Video Doorbell Wired
Not ready to invest in a higher-end product but don’t want to sacrifice safety? That’s not a problem with the Ring Video Doorbell Wired, an Amazon bestseller that offers all the convenient features you want for a very reasonable price. No doubt, that’s why it has more than 56,000 Amazon reviews, and 88% of them are four stars or higher. “Got this doorbell at a very attractive low price, and it has some of the main great features that the pro models have,” says one happy customer. “The motion detection works fine, and it works with Alexa seamlessly.”
- Under $40
- Uses existing doorbell wiring
- Works with Alexa
- Real-time mobile notifications on your phone/tablet
- Won’t sound your existing chime; you have to pair it with Ring Chime to hear audio alerts
Best for easy installation
Wyze Video Doorbell
Not much of a do-it-yourselfer and don’t want to hire an electrician to figure out wiring? Then the Wyze Wireless Video Doorbell is for you, because it mounts via an adhesive plate in less than 30 seconds. This device is also super customizable, with 20 different tunes (including a dog bark that could scare off would-be intruders) and eight sound levels. It also comes with a “wedge” to provide extra viewing coverage for front porches with angles.
- Installs in under 30 seconds with 3M adhesive mounting plate
- Under $100
- Up to six months of battery life
- Some online reviewers say alerts are delayed
Best for privacy
ADT Doorbell Camera
Big names in home security have added video doorbells to their offerings, and this ADT Doorbell Camera is geared toward those looking to ensure privacy. By design, ADT’s product limits the company’s ability to access its residential customers’ video footage. Through technical restrictions and company policy, this footage can be accessed only once specific protocols are followed and use of those protocols is logged. Customers also get another layer of protection: They are notified whenever designated ADT personnel have been authorized to access their system, so there won’t be any surprises.
- Weatherproof from -4 degrees to 122 degrees Fahrenheit
- Multiple mounting options
- Compatible with Apple iOS 10.X or higher and Android 4.4 or higher
- To purchase, you must have the whole ADT security system package
Best color options
SimpliSafe Video Doorbell Pro
Instead of making a decision on the color of your smart doorbell and having to live with it forever, why not choose a brand that includes three faceplate covers so you can match your home’s style? Aside from suiting your decor, the SimpliSafe Video Doorbell Pro offers 1080p HD, 162-degree field of view, night vision and two-way audio. Though not required, it’s designed to work with SimpliSafe’s security system for whole home protection, which is one of the ways FBI agents secure their own homes.
- Comes in white, black and jade
- Uses two different sensors to reduce false alerts
- Customizable activity zones
- 5x speed video preview
- Interactive monitoring is $27.99/month; camera recordings only are $9.99/month